How does America decided which countries to attack, eg Iraq N Korea

The footage of the bomb that was shown on N Korean TV was false, but was not reported as such in New York Newspapers.

Are the Koreans trying to frighten the Americans, or are the Americans trying to frighten everyone else...?

I recognised that photo on Korean TV as an old French test from the 1960s.

Obviously it was false, because no one does atmospheric testing on nuclear weapons any more.

I was surprised to see the BBC reporting it as an atmospheric blast.

Let's not forget that Iraq had WMD and used them to kill innocent women and children, so lets not shed any tears for the passing of Saddam Hussein's government. The monumental mistake that the USA made was their approach to Iraq post Saddam, not removing Saddam in the first place.

The lesson that can be taken from Iraq is that if you're a tyrant and you want to do bad things then you need nuclear weapons to be able to do it and get away with it.

I personally think that if North Korea does/has developed an H bomb, then a tipping point has been reached and the world can no longer stand by and watch what North Korea is up.

I even think that the development of weapons in the megatonnage scale may be too much for China to bear, if this is the case then it's game over for North Korea.

By "the world" I hope you mean "America, Japan, China, South Korea" and not us. We have precious little interest really out their and don't fancy the idea of irradiated British servicemen so people can buy affordable cars from South Korea.

We don't to get involved anymore than we need to get involved in an equally unstable Pakistan.

We don't to get involved anymore than we need to get involved in an equally unstable Pakistan.

Pakistan is a country with nuclear weapons. Apparently there's a plan agreed between the US and Pakistani governments to go in there and seize all their nuclear warheads as soon as Islamists are on the verge of taking control of the country.

Pakistan is a country with nuclear weapons. Apparently there's a plan agreed between the US and Pakistani governments to go in there and seize all their nuclear warheads as soon as Islamists are on the verge of taking control of the country.

I'd suggest that's not worth the paper it's written on. To the best of my knowledge it's actually written in the Pakistan constitution that the army can take over a freely elected government whenever they want.

I recognised that photo on Korean TV as an old French test from the 1960s.

Obviously it was false, because no one does atmospheric testing on nuclear weapons any more.

I was surprised to see the BBC reporting it as an atmospheric blast.

This is the picture shown in the Chicago Tribune reporting on the H bomb blast in North Korea.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-earthquake-north-korea-nuclear-test-site-20160105-story.html

and this is the youtube footage of the first Soviet H bomb test from 1953.

https://m.www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dUIq8gHgc

Check out the frames from around 1.20 They are exactly the same as those supposedly reported yesterday. Note the clouds in the background sky and the formation of the atomic clouds. Exactly the same.

Somebody's telling porkies....

Mmmm.... Now for some reason second link isn't working. However you can see it on Sheffield Forum General Discussions Thread entitled 'Conspiracy Theorists' Post 16 by Quik, where I nicked it from. Please check it out, or correct my link. Something's gone wrong somewhere.

Edited by Anna B

America claimed that the reason they attacked Iraq was because of a story about WMD. North Korea is openly telling the world that they have such weapons now. I don’t see America doing anything about this. Is it like the school bully who is happy to thump the small skinny kid in the playground because he cannot fight back, but would run a mile from the big kid that can use his fists to good effect.

I've read the responses, but I think there is a bit a flaw with this analogy in the first place Dr Afzal.

I think the skinny-kid who can't fight back isn't necessarily Iraq rather than N Korea. I agree that the IRAQ thing was a complete mess and involved a lot of war crimes, (but I doubt many people miss Hussein as it happens). I do wonder if I'll live to see the Chilcot report!

N Korea is more like watching the skinny kid (with a dodgy hairstyle to boot), playing with fireworks in the playground. (waits for H-bomb/fireworks comparison to be brought up and criticised!)... but you can bet that the eyes of most countries are/have been watching this place for a long time.

We hear in the news when something big happens, but I doubt it is news to the US (or another country with decent intelligence).

Whilst the skinny kid is playing with these big fireworks, I bet there are more missiles aimed at him (them) than ever, he will know this even though he's a crackpot

- if anything, the school-yard bullie,s and everyone else are watching to see if he starts throwing them around the school-yard - whether he does or not is what they try and work out, but the world could wipe the place out in seconds.

Blowing the place up would be as bad if not worse than blowing Iraq off the earth. There is large scale indoctrination in both countries whether religious or political but it seems far less diverse there from what we see in the media (which is all I have access to).

Surely lessons should be learned from the past. It's a complicated strategic decision. Do you think we should bomb them Dr? Would killing a load of people who have been indoctrinated into some 'bizarre' society help the deaths of the innocents in Iraq?

Edited by *_ash_*

This is the picture shown in the Chicago Tribune reporting on the H bomb blast in North Korea.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-earthquake-north-korea-nuclear-test-site-20160105-story.html

and this is the youtube footage of the first Soviet H bomb test from 1953.

https://m.www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dUIq8gHgc

Check out the frames from around 1.20 They are exactly the same as those supposedly reported yesterday. Note the clouds in the background sky and the formation of the atomic clouds. Exactly the same.

Somebody's telling porkies....

Mmmm.... Now for some reason second link isn't working. However you can see it on Sheffield Forum General Discussions Thread entitled 'Conspiracy Theorists' Post 16 by Quik, where I nicked it from. Please check it out, or correct my link. Something's gone wrong somewhere.

I think it's the same video as here and the same bomb -

Edited by Nagel