Abandoned cars, police or council?

I have posted before about what the council should be spending their money one.

But I thought about the issue of abandoned cars today, as there was a car chase involving numerous police officers and the police helicopter.

I reported a car parked on the main road, with no MOT and no insurance, yet the police referred me to the city council.

Surely its the role of the police to deal with illegal matters? Why would the council do it instead.

I reported this car, which is parked at a bus stop, in New Years Day, and its still there. Anyone could use it.

I have posted before about what the council should be spending their money one.

But I thought about the issue of abandoned cars today, as there was a car chase involving numerous police officers and the police helicopter.

I reported a car parked on the main road, with no MOT and no insurance, yet the police referred me to the city council.

Surely its the role of the police to deal with illegal matters? Why would the council do it instead.

I reported this car, which is parked at a bus stop, in New Years Day, and its still there. Anyone could use it.

Is it taxed? Try this link. https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

Is it taxed? Try this link. https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

Vehicle details could not be found.

I guess to answer my own question, the police don't want to investigate a crime, nor do they see a need to prevent one; the abandoned car is being treated the same as litter.

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 12:24 ----------

The council have now been in contact with me, and told me that the car is SORN.

So the police are not interested in any crimes committed, but the DVLA are, when they are next in the area.

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 12:34 ----------

The car is parked in a bus stop

Rule 242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park: at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 19:31 ----------

Anyone used this web site to check for a valid insurance?

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/askmid.aspx

You report untaxed cars to the DVLA, which includes SORN cars parked on the road.

They have a team that travel around who will remove the car, takes a while and you might need to report it a few times but they get the job done eventually.

You report untaxed cars to the DVLA, which includes SORN cars parked on the road.

They have a team that travel around who will remove the car, takes a while and you might need to report it a few times but they get the job done eventually.

The council rang me, not sure why, because I havnt reported it to the council. They did they that DVLA could take some time.

The local police team rang me too, with all they different agencies involved, not sure if the owner will get fined for both no MOT and SORN, or neither.

The council seem to be just the middle men, not sure why the police just cannot communicate directly with DVLA, and decide what action to take.

The DVLA automatically issue fines through the post, lack of MOT is a police issue usually (I think)

I know the DVLA clamp cars and also remove them, but I'm not sure how they decide when to clamp and when to remove - maybe the chances of the owner paying for the fine/tax ???

The council usually sort out abandoned/burnt out cars, and illegally parked ones are the DVLA's territory.

I expect the council/police like to know about illegally parked cars due to the possibility of them being stolen or used for crime.

Ah, ignorance of other departments powers is bliss.

Council took over parking offences from the police quite a few years ago. This includes parking in bus stops, yellow lines, no loading/unloading et al.

For police to issue the driver of the vehicle a traffic offence report for no insurance the driver must be present.

In this scenario only the DVLA can act as the vehicle is not taxed.

When the police were called the call handler would have taken note of the registration and checked out the owner.

It may be that there is no registered keeper therefore it is an abandoned vehicle on a highway with no tax hence DVLA issue.

There was a car "dumped" outside my house, no MOT but had insurance. I checked on the government website. I spoke to the local beat Bobby who said the police or council would fight each other as to who would take it as they would have to pay for the removal costs. I said surely if it had no MOT it would invalidate the insurance? He said that was just a technicality. Having said it was "dumped" I mean it did not move for 4 months. It was unlocked! (I checked to see if it was stolen initially lol). The police officer did a PNC check and said it was from far away but did not disclose where. Somehow the car moved to the bottom of our road with double yellows, it received several tickets before it was removed one day by a pick up truck lol.

Ah, ignorance of other departments powers is bliss.

Council took over parking offences from the police quite a few years ago. This includes parking in bus stops, yellow lines, no loading/unloading et al.

The council were never interesting in gaining some revenue from a fine; I did google bus stop fines, and its only a fine-able offence when the bus stop has a box around it.

---------- Post added 09-01-2016 at 17:41 ----------

I spoke to the local beat Bobby who said the police or council would fight each other as to who would take it as they would have to pay for the removal costs.

Sounds like a car is being classed as litter.

I thought it was an offence not to fill in the SORN form from DVLA, there must have been many offences committed, for a car to end up on the street with no tax and MOT.

• 11 months later...

Someone has reported a car VIA 'fixmystreet' app, parked on a bend, no MOT and registered as SORN since the end of September.

I also reported it to the Police, the Police are not interested.

They passed the details to DVLA, the car has now been parked on a bend for over 5 weeks. It is now clamped.

How will the owner tax the vehicle, if it has no MOT, will will he/she MOT it, if it is clamped. ;)