No such thing as a safe level of drinking

Tough new guidelines issued on alcohol have cut recommended drinking limits and say there is no such thing as a safe level of drinking.

The UK's chief medical officers say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.

The new advice says men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine.

Did anyone ever follow the previous guidelines, and will anyone be changing their drinking habits in light of this new advice?

Tough new guidelines issued on alcohol have cut recommended drinking limits and say there is no such thing as a safe level of drinking.

The UK's chief medical officers say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.

The new advice says men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine.

Did anyone ever follow the previous guidelines, and will anyone be changing their drinking habits in light of this new advice?

No definitely not!! the nanny state and EU meddling again ? common sense should prevail, we all know that if we drink a bottle of spirits a day its not going to do us much good?

i would guess that a reasonable consumption of a bottle of wine a day is normal ?? having said that i do try not to drink anything monday and tuesday but sadly i often fail, i like to relax with a glass with friends or the other half after a days stress:o i guess by these guidelines the nanny state consider me an alcho??!:roll:

No definitely not!! the nanny state and EU meddling again ? common sense should prevail, we all know that if we drink a bottle of spirits a day its not going to do us much good?

It never did Keith Richards much harm, and that would just be a normal breakfast.

i would guess that a reasonable consumption of a bottle of wine a day is normal ?? having said that i do try not to drink anything monday and tuesday but sadly i often fail, i like to relax with a glass with friends or the other half after a days stress:o i guess by these guidelines the nanny state consider me an alcho??!:roll:

Can you explain what this is to do with the EU? Or is this just you doing what a lot Brits do when they get annoyed with random government nonsense, blame it on the EU?

OT - limits are nonsense, the only way you get people to drink more responsibly is by altering the culture and it is simply not the responsibility of the state to do so. Fortunately there are encouraging figures about alcohol consumption amongst youngsters going down dramatically, not because they have no access (nothing changed in that regard, in fact it is probably easier now than 10 years ago) but because they are beginning to think it is uncool to be hammered every night. My internet is rubbish, but I will try and find the source for this later.

Edited by tzijlstra

Someone on TV mentioned that everything carries a risk. Driving to work in the morning does, eating a bacon butty does, eating chocolate does, fizzy drinks, sugar, salt....even sitting perfectly still for two hours can cause health problems. I await bread being blamed for the nation's health problems next.

It's a choice. Most people know that having too much of anything is bad for you.

Anyway, we've finished off the Christmas Advocaat tonight and it's not yet 6pm...so yah boo sucks:razz:

Someone on TV mentioned that everything carries a risk. Driving to work in the morning does, eating a bacon butty does, eating chocolate does, fizzy drinks, sugar, salt....even sitting perfectly still for two hours can cause health problems. I await bread being blamed for the nation's health problems next.

It's a choice. Most people know that having too much of anything is bad for you.

Anyway, we've finished off the Christmas Advocaat tonight and it's not yet 6pm...so yah boo sucks:razz:

Drinking Advocaat can seriously damage your credibility :hihi: