No such thing as a safe level of drinking

It's not too long since the advice was that men drinking 2 pints a day would live longer than teetotallers, so we can expect the latest advice to change.

In the meantime I think we'll just carry on drinking as we do now.

I'm surprised they don't drink Advocaat in the Netherlands, my missus loves it in a snowball, it's also got the advantage of stopping her drinking my whisky and beer.

If you read the articles, then you will see the new advice is merely updating the guidance given from 20 years ago. There has been further medical research since, then so unsurpisingly we know more about the longer term risks associated with alcohol. Up to you to whether you are bothered about following good health guides as many things will put you at risk. It does get people thinking about what levels of consumption, they can have.

I'm surprised they don't drink Advocaat in the Netherlands, my missus loves it in a snowball, it's also got the advantage of stopping her drinking my whisky and beer.

I'm sure it is still popular in certain care-homes, but in general it is considered very much a geriatric alternative to real drinks. The Dutch don't do snowballs either, that is just a wrong invention ;)

If you read the articles, then you will see the new advice is merely updating the guidance given from 20 years ago. There has been further medical research since, then so unsurpisingly we know more about the longer term risks associated with alcohol. Up to you to whether you are bothered about following good health guides as many things will put you at risk. It does get people thinking about what levels of consumption, they can have.

I haven't read the article, ( too busy having a drink ) but I would have thought that if you lived longer 20 years ago, that statistic wouldn't have changed.

Unless of course they didn't know what they were talking about then, if so why trust them now?

Good sensible advice, ignore it at your peril.

All the guidelines are for your best interests.

I'm sure it is still popular in certain care-homes, but in general it is considered very much a geriatric alternative to real drinks. The Dutch don't do snowballs either, that is just a wrong invention ;)

Well, I am surprised, I never expected you to be drinkist? She's going to go mad when I tell her you think she's geriatric. I wouldn't dare do that, I'm just happy she's happy drinking snowballs.

I haven't read the article, ( too busy having a drink ) but I would have thought that if you lived longer 20 years ago, that statistic wouldn't have changed.

Unless of course they didn't know what they were talking about then, if so why trust them now?

Statistics, data, evidence, knowledge.

Mr tzijlstra. I take the yellow stuff neat, coz I'm a proper man!

None of that girly whisky nonsense for me.

Anyhow, welcome to Scotland. Been heavy snow down here in Ayr, but the rain arrived now. Where are you swimming?

Tough new guidelines issued on alcohol have cut recommended drinking limits and say there is no such thing as a safe level of drinking.

The UK's chief medical officers say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.

The new advice says men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine.

Did anyone ever follow the previous guidelines, and will anyone be changing their drinking habits in light of this new advice?

Just more interfering from the nanny state .

Dont drink

Dont smoke

Dont eat fatty foods

Dont drink fizzy drinks

The list goes on and on.

Just live your life , eat and drink what you want ,have a smoke and to hell with the meddling nanny state .

No definitely not!! the nanny state and EU meddling again ? common sense should prevail, we all know that if we drink a bottle of spirits a day its not going to do us much good?

i would guess that a reasonable consumption of a bottle of wine a day is normal ?? having said that i do try not to drink anything monday and tuesday but sadly i often fail, i like to relax with a glass with friends or the other half after a days stress:o i guess by these guidelines the nanny state consider me an alcho??!:roll:

Quote below from Dame Sally Davies England Chief Medical Officer. Broadcast today on BBC News. Not a EU directive

"Davies said the guidelines, the first in 20 years, needed to be toughened up in the light of the latest research.

She said: “We have really underpinned this with the best science. We are ahead of anyone else. No one else in Europe in over a decade has reviewed the science in this way. I predict that others will follow us in these guidelines.”

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Davies dismissed the belief that a glass of red wine a day protected the heart as an “old wives’ tale”. She conceded that women over the age of 55 who drink five units of alcohol per week do get some protection from heart disease, but she added: “Above five and they lose that protective impact of the alcohol.”

She said: “We have to be very careful to ensure that the public know the risks of drink, so they can take their choice.”

Responding to the charge that the new advice unscientifically demonised drink, she said: “Of course it isn’t unscientific. The reason we have done this is the science had progress and needed updating.”

The stories you need to read, in one handy email

Read more

“For every cancer – mouth, bowel, gullet, breast – the risks change. But there is no doubt that the more we drink the bigger our risk.”

In the BBC Breakfast interview, Davies also explained why the guidance had the same alcohol limits for both women and men.

“The short-term harms we have underestimated in the past. We now have very good data. I was horrified to learn that every year a thousand people die of intentional self-harm while intoxicated, and over 800 of those are men ... When you start to balance out the short-term harms and the long-term harms, and the fact there is negligible protective effect of alcohol for men, then you get to ‘we need to drink within the same guideli......"

MY bold above

Edited by bazjea

Just more interfering from the nanny state .

Dont drink

Dont smoke

Dont eat fatty foods

Dont drink fizzy drinks

The list goes on and on.

Just live your life , eat and drink what you want ,have a smoke and to hell with the meddling nanny state .

Penistone999

The knowledge. :hihi: