No such thing as a safe level of drinking

Why is alcohol legal for human consumption then ?

It's a conundrum. I suspect it might have something to do with:

a)the tax revenues

b)the state recognising that living a "modern life" in the UK requires a potent, toxic, CNS depressant drug just to to be bearable for many people.

c)the tax revenues.

Someone on TV mentioned that everything carries a risk. Driving to work in the morning does, eating a bacon butty does, eating chocolate does, fizzy drinks, sugar, salt....even sitting perfectly still for two hours can cause health problems. I await bread being blamed for the nation's health problems next.

It's a choice. Most people know that having too much of anything is bad for you.

Anyway, we've finished off the Christmas Advocaat tonight and it's not yet 6pm...so yah boo sucks:razz:

Isn't it funny that the things you like the most are supposed to be bad for you? Take, for instance, the disgusting Lima bean, go ahead stuff yourself, and all you'll die from is regergitation, that also goes for tripe, and in my son's case brussell sprouts. I like them, but I'm European. He's not and firmly believes they are why we brits lost the war of independence, and not the tea party.

Why is alcohol legal for human consumption then ?

Because people in this country like it (generally) and if they couldn't obtain it legally they would obtain it illegally.

Prohibition was tried in the USA. It drove alcohol underground and created a thriving subculture and extensive criminal enterprises.

Even animals like getting drunk, it's a kind of mammalian built-in genetic craving for.... Well watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tlF3kGbT4

Someone on TV mentioned that everything carries a risk. Driving to work in the morning does, eating a bacon butty does, eating chocolate does, fizzy drinks, sugar, salt....even sitting perfectly still for two hours can cause health problems. I await bread being blamed for the nation's health problems next.

It's a choice. Most people know that having too much of anything is bad for you.

Anyway, we've finished off the Christmas Advocaat tonight and it's not yet 6pm...so yah boo sucks:razz:

Life's a dangerous business. It'll kill you in the end.

First of all, man has relied on some sort of mind altering drug to get him through the day ever since he lived in caves (that's been proved apparently.)

Secondly, do the majority of the population really want mega old folk wandering around, bed blocking, living in big houses, drooling in care homes and using up valuable resources for ever and a day etc?

Not if you listen to some of the things people say about them on SF.

Do old people themselves want to live for ever if they're never allowed to have any fun?

I don't think so.

So enjoy your advocaat taxman, in fact have one for me while you're at it...

It's a conundrum. I suspect it might have something to do with:

a)the tax revenues

b)the state recognising that living a "modern life" in the UK requires a potent, toxic, CNS depressant drug just to to be bearable for many people.

c)the tax revenues.

There is a lot of truth in that.

It is about control. A legal and taxed intoxicating substance.

Get smashed at home on cheap booze while watching mind-numbing crap on TV.

In the comedowns watch the news and be terrified by whatever bogeyman is in vogue. Saddam, Osama, Jihadi John, falling house prices, youngsters having fun, the Daily Express-style interpretation of the weather etc...

---------- Post added 09-01-2016 at 00:04 ----------

Life's a dangerous business. It'll kill you in the end.

First of all, man has relied on some sort of mind altering drug to get him through the day ever since he lived in caves (that's been proved apparently.)

Secondly, do the majority of the population really want mega old folk wandering around, bed blocking, living in big houses, drooling in care homes and using up valuable resources for ever and a day etc?

Not if you listen to some of the things people say about them on SF.

Do old people themselves want to live for ever if they're never allowed to have any fun?

I don't think so.

So enjoy your advocaat taxman, in fact have one for me while you're at it...

One word: Ham

Deadly :(

The problem is that most people don't know what 'too much' is.

All these guidelines are saying is that drinking over these levels increases your risk of certain cancers to over 1%.

---------- Post added 09-01-2016 at 07:57 ----------

It's not too long since the advice was that men drinking 2 pints a day would live longer than teetotallers, so we can expect the latest advice to change.

In the meantime I think we'll just carry on drinking as we do now.

I'm surprised they don't drink Advocaat in the Netherlands, my missus loves it in a snowball, it's also got the advantage of stopping her drinking my whisky and beer.

That was never official advice. All of the stories you see about booze being good for you are the result of the press mis-reporting scientific studies.

Mr tzijlstra. I take the yellow stuff neat, coz I'm a proper man!

None of that girly whisky nonsense for me.

Anyhow, welcome to Scotland. Been heavy snow down here in Ayr, but the rain arrived now. Where are you swimming?

No swimming, I think we found the only place in the Albion that has had great weather most of the week, Torridon. Unfortunately we will be swimming/ploughing our way back down the A9 and M74 today so I hope the motorways behave!

So, before we leave a little prayer: Alba Akhbar!

---------- Post added 09-01-2016 at 08:01 ----------

Well, I am surprised, I never expected you to be drinkist? She's going to go mad when I tell her you think she's geriatric. I wouldn't dare do that, I'm just happy she's happy drinking snowballs.

Just because my nation is drinkist, does not mean I am! :hihi:

To all you complaining about this being a result of a nanny state. Stop being stupid. These are GUIDELINES. It isn't the law, you are not being forced to adhere to them. They are simply giving you the latest scientific evidence to help give you the best chance of being healthy. If you are happy taking the increased risk of getting cancer by drinking more then it is your choice. Just don't complain if you do.