Just pulled by Police for no insurance.

I don't understand the differences,

Pretty straight forward, a "Duplicate" was a carbon copy of your original certificate and a "Replacement" was a carbon copy of your original but with any mistakes corrected ie wrong reg number, expiry date, mileage wrong, chassis number wrong, and so forth. A test certificate also has up to 13 months with a minimum of 12 months, there is no such thing as like a 3 month test certificate.

Forgive me for being a little sceptical but I don't think you are being fully truthful or the person who issued the replacement was a right clown, if its the latter I apologise unreservedly.

Was it the tester who originally tested it who issued the replacement or another tester? or a receptionist/non tester?

Pretty straight forward, a "Duplicate" was a carbon copy of your original certificate and a "Replacement" was a carbon copy of your original but with any mistakes corrected ie wrong reg number, expiry date, mileage wrong, chassis number wrong, and so forth. A test certificate also has up to 13 months with a minimum of 12 months, there is no such thing as like a 3 month test certificate.

Forgive me for being a little sceptical but I don't think you are being fully truthful or the person who issued the replacement was a right clown, if its the latter I apologise unreservedly.

Was it the tester who originally tested it who issued the replacement or another tester? or a receptionist/non tester?

The whole event was nearly 40 years ago so I don't remember the exact details of what the replacement was called, but I distinctly remember being given a "replacement" which was for a part year only, ie from the date he wrote it up to the expiry date of the original certificate, and him saying he wasn't allowed to give me one showing the original date. I was young and naive and assumed he knew what he was doing, so accepted it and took it to the police station, which of course wouldn't accept it. I remember being very stressed as I was running out of time to show the documents to the police. I went back and acted more forcefully, mostly out of fear of being done by the police for no MOT. He finally relented and gave me one showing the correct test period, so don't know why he couldn't do that the first time around. I don't know if the new one showed him as signing it asxif it were the original test date, or the date on which he wrote the new one.

---------- Post added 12-01-2016 at 23:40 ----------

The whole event was nearly 40 years ago so I don't remember the exact details of what the replacement was called, but I distinctly remember being given a "replacement" which was for a part year only, ie from the date he wrote it up to the expiry date of the original certificate, and him saying he wasn't allowed to give me one showing the original date. I was young and naive and assumed he knew what he was doing, so accepted it and took it to the police station, which of course wouldn't accept it. I remember being very stressed as I was running out of time to show the documents to the police. I went back and acted more forcefully, mostly out of fear of being done by the police for no MOT. He finally relented and gave me one showing the correct test period, so don't know why he couldn't do that the first time around. I don't know if the new one showed him as signing it as if it were the original test date, or the date on which he wrote the new one. I was just relieved that it got sorted and the police were satisfied.

Edited by Eater Sundae