Chester st,broomhall

cliffelad

peterR great pictures & memories were

they rehoused thru bombing in 1940?

Hi cliffelad,

Thanks for your interest. Mother told me that she first met Annie Fisher, the daughter of the next door neighbour at 16 Longley Avenue West, when she was little. This leads me to believe that mother must have moved up there in the nineteen twenties/early thirties. But I can't be sure. I know she lived in rooms on Hinde House Lane before she married and moved to Adsetts Street in 1938.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I remember Chester Street. There was a bomb-site car park for GPO telephones vans in the 1960s. Chester Street was very short & ran between Trafalgar Street & Eldon Street.

hiya sorry but it ran from fitzwilliam st to trafalgar st the only houses left standing when i was young was 3 back to back houses and the grey horse pub, one of the families was johnnie scopes,another was the dunfords betty was the

the daughters name.in fact in the winter of 1947 all of that area was a dumping ground for the cleared snow, the last of it melted away in june.

it has puzzled me about the area as to what was bomb damage and what was slum clearance i know for a fact there were several houses that were boarded up during the war years and right up to 1961, and small areas where one house had stood.

Edited by willybite

hiya sorry but it ran from fitzwilliam st to trafalgar st the only houses left standing when i was young was 3 back to back houses and the grey horse pub, one of the families was johnnie scopes,another was the dunfords betty was the

the daughters name.in fact in the winter of 1947 all of that area was a dumping ground for the cleared snow, the last of it melted away in june.

You're right of course. I was looking at a street map from 1971 which shows Chester Street as being very short as I described, but earlier maps show it as joining up with Fitzwilliam Street.

You're right of course. I was looking at a street map from 1971 which shows Chester Street as being very short as I described, but earlier maps show it as joining up with Fitzwilliam Street.

hiya there is a good photo of chester st and surrounding area on photo sheffield taken from high up over devonshire street it shows the deralict ground opposite the greyhorse pub it shows a concrete strip that was i assume was a sideroad well there used to be some really good cricket matches on there with the local lads after the war i remember, we would play on the wellington st red wreck at the back side of the boneyard on fitzwilliam st.