Homebase And a delivery

My misses ordered a couple of sofas from Homebase online last week and we was given a delivery date for today between 9 and 11 this morning and the driver would give me a ring 1 hour before delivery "which he didnt".

Today arrived and 2 blokes huffed and puffed to get my order into my house but they only had 1 sofa instead of the two i ordered, so i told my Misses to decline the order and i would sort it out with Homebase.

So i phoned Homebase who gladly returned what i paid without even asking the problem but i have to wait 3 to 5 working days for the money to be paid back to me. In the mean time we gave our old 3 piece suit to a relative. So now im stuck with no sofa and 3 kids plus a moaning Wife.

To top it off when they delivered our "order" they walked straight into our living room with dirty shoes on and put sludge marks on a carpet i had fitted and bought only last week, the bloke did say sorry but a sorry dont get the contents of my front garden of a new carpet. Do they not have disposable shoe covers these days?.

Not sure what to do as it stands i got 3 kids plus the Wife and no where for us to sit. Cant buy a another couch as have to wait until i get a refund of Homabase.

Personally I'd have taken the one sofa and then rang about the other. At least you would have somewhere to sit. Also money is refunded back isnt ever instant. It's not only the company but also the bank you are with. I'd definitely tried and get reimbursement for the carpet too.

Edited by jensen1378

They have public liability for damage to third party property (so your carpets) so you can put a claim in for them to professionally clean or replace the carpets. Just make sure you get photographs and quotes for a clean/replace and notify them tomorrow you are making a claim and record all correspondence (I work in commercial insurance).

Nothing you can do about the lack of sofa or the time for the refund though to my knowledge.

Personally I'd have taken the one sofa and then rang about the other. At least you would have somewhere to sit. Also money is refunded back isnt ever instant. It's not only the company but also the bank you are with. I'd definitely tried and get reimbursement for the carpet too.

Agree about reimbursement for the carpet but think maybe wise sending the one sofa back. Dyes for materials can vary when done at different times and you could have ended up with two sofas of slightly different colours.

Been in touch with Homebase and someone is phoning me back in the next 24 to 48 hours over the carpet, i have took some photos. Over the order we are glad that we did send it back even though we are without anything to sit on because its not what we ordered and my Wife was let down as she saved quite a while for this sofa set. Hopefully the money will go back into the bank in 3 days rather than 5 so we can buy something else.

I had a similar argument relating to refunds with Tesco. They once debited me for my groceries twice. I called and was told it would be 5 days for a refund. When I asked why, I was told that this was how long these transactions took. I pointed out that if I rejected an item with my shop it was refunded straight away, so why would this be any different. There was no answer to that - she was baffled. And would you believe it my refund hit my account almost immediately.

With BACS and CHAPS nowadays, there is no reason why any refund cannot be credited immediately. It may not be their policy. And it may break their working practices, but they are self imposed, so these can be bypassed if they so wish.

Just an update on this. I have got a refund which been fair didnt take long. I have yet to have a phone call about the carpet though. They actually credited my account with £2 more than i paid not sure why.

Hopefully my Wife can order from elsewhere and get a resonably quick delivery as my back wont take too much of laying on the floor lol.