Confiscating migrant's valuables to fund immigrant facilities

Valuables  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Valuables

• should be confiscated
    • shouldn't be confiscated

The Danish government are looking at a new law where migrants will have their money and valuables confiscated to pay for immigration centres that they are using.

It won't apply to people who pay their way, but if migrants turn up and expect to be looked after they would have everything valuable taken off them except wedding rings.

Personally I think it's extremely distasteful, and 'smacks' of Nazi Germany, and their treatment of Jews.

Fine if they made those able, to do community work, and earn their keep, but not effectively 'rob' them of what little possessions they managed to hang on to in the journey to wherever they find themselves.

Personally I think it's extremely distasteful, and 'smacks' of Nazi Germany, and their treatment of Jews.

This is nothing like that. What they are asking is for people who have the means to contribute to the initial support they receive. There is nothing wrong with asking people to contribute.

Fine if they made those able, to do community work, and earn their keep, but not effectively 'rob' them of what little possessions they managed to hang on to in the journey to wherever they find themselves.

Godwin's law klaxon!

This is nothing like that. What they are asking is for people who have the means to contribute to the initial support they receive. There is nothing wrong with asking people to contribute.

Using jewellery? Or other valuables. So they'll snatch your engagement ring, Or the sentimental family heirloom ring from maybe their beloved granny, or whatever but leave you with your wedding ring?..It's just plain nasty...

Yes make them work for their keep, or when they're 'settled' pay back the costs...

---------- Post added 13-01-2016 at 09:30 ----------

Godwin's law klaxon!

Hahaha...Yes I thought that...But to me, that's just what this proposal in Denmark 'smacks' of.

But it makes a change for it to be at the beginning of a discussion, so I'm not totally sure it applies here...:hihi:

Using jewellery? Or other valuables. So they'll snatch your engagement ring, Or the sentimental family heirloom ring from maybe their beloved granny, or whatever but leave you with your wedding ring?..It's just plain nasty...

Yes make them work for their keep, or when they're 'settled' pay back the costs...

---------- Post added 13-01-2016 at 09:30 ----------

Hahaha...Yes I thought that...But to me, that's just what this proposal in Denmark 'smacks' of.

But it makes a change for it to be at the beginning of a discussion, so I'm not totally sure it applies here...:hihi:

Godwin's coefficient is much higher when discussing immigration.

I have to say that I agree with you on the whole.

Under normal circumstances it takes a lot before people come round to confiscate your valuables.

Send them a bill, if they refuse to make a payment plan, you can take them to court, if you win, then eventually you can send round the bailiffs.

They are not snatching engagement rings, they have already stated things like wedding rings will not be taken.

Tell me, why should they not pay for their own upkeep if you have the means to do so? Why not? Why should others pay things like National Insurance if people can walk to your country and get all the same benefits as you have paid towards?

They are not snatching engagement rings, they have already stated things like wedding rings will not be taken.

Tell me, why should they not pay for their own upkeep if you have the means to do so? Why not? Why should others pay things like National Insurance if people can walk to your country and get all the same benefits as you have paid towards?

There must be a middle ground.

As I said, peoples' possessions are not normally confiscated until all other means to recover money they owe are exhausted.

Totally agree with you Pete.

How about everyone who is born in the UK is given a debt of £250,000 at birth. (Based on education costs, healthcare, pension, police etc. This is huge underestimate I'd say, but I can only find figures for NHS and education costs, so the rest is just made up :D)

As you pay tax this debt is paid down, any outstanding debt when you die is taken out of any assets you own.

Because why should the fact we were lucky enough to be born here give mean that we don't have to cover our own state costs too? Or do you believe you are somehow entitled to more simply because your parents had a shag in the UK?