Confiscating migrant's valuables to fund immigrant facilities

Valuables  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Valuables

• should be confiscated
    • shouldn't be confiscated

Ummm...Are you advocating stripping all their assets, whatever and however much they have, and make them all start a new life with zero?

No, I asked a question. I'm merely pointing out that it's a trickier philosophical question than it might appear.

But if you want to play this game:

Are you advocating that the refugee who managed to hoard some gold and escape with it is treated more favourably than the refugee who saved his earning in a bank and escaped with nothing?

No, I asked a question. I'm merely pointing out that it's a trickier philosophical question than it might appear.

But if you want to play this game:

Are you advocating that the refugee who managed to hoard some gold and escape with it is treated more favourably than the refugee who saved his earning in a bank and escaped with nothing?

For anything like this, you should replace the word refugee with person. So what you are saying is that everyone person should be equal when they arrive on Britain's shores. Yeah, fine. So that includes every person born here. As I put on the last page, ban handing over any wealth to your kids, everything goes to the state when you die including any gifts (except wedding rings of course ;) ) that were given. That way everyone starts equally with nothing.

I don't disagree that expecting people who live in a country should contribute to it in a positive manner, but positive does not always mean simply financial.

I was intentionally over-simplifying the point. My partner is Polish (Well British now :) ) and has lived here for 10 years, paying taxes. Should she be forced to hand over some jewellery to cover the time from when she was 18-25 and living, working and paying taxes to a different country?

---------- Post added 13-01-2016 at 10:10 ----------

No, this is a great idea. NOONE can hand over any wealth to their kids AT ALL. When you die EVERYTHING you own or ever owned gets handed to the state. Only fair that we all start at zero. Bought a house for your kid or paid a deposit for them? House now belongs to the state.

Well in favour of this idea, nice one milquetoast1. Best SF suggestion for a long time.

For anything like this, you should replace the word refugee with person. So what you are saying is that everyone person should be equal when they arrive on Britain's shores. Yeah, fine. So that includes every person born here. As I put on the last page, ban handing over any wealth to your kids, everything goes to the state when you die including any gifts (except wedding rings of course ;) ) that were given. That way everyone starts equally with nothing.

First, your partner is from an EU nation and I'm guessing that she's a regular Jane who just happens to be working and living here instead of there? Good luck to her I say.

Second, real refugees aren't like your partner. Good luck to them I say, and I know a few who came here with little more than a passport.

Third, economic migrants aren't like refugees. Even the ones who pretend that they are.

Maybe give the people the means to earn some money, or do some community work for their support, and if they refuse then looking at ways for the refugees to support themselves would be more justified.

It seems churlish to say to the refugees - you're not allowed to work to support yourself, and we're going to punish you for not supporting yourself.

Let's face facts though, this is a political gesture aimed at sending out a message to refugees that they're not welcome in Denmark, and they'd be better of going elsewhere.

Agree with most of what you say but I think the political message is to the electorate of Denmark showing just how tough the state can be thereby trying to placate those who would otherwise vote for a far right party.

Plus, I doubt very much that, before you abandon your home to flee any conflict, you would sit down and compare the pros and cons of countries when deciding which one to head for.

I think what is proposed is unworkable unless the Danish government are condoning intimate personal searches such as used in prisons when searching for drugs.

Personally I think it's extremely distasteful, and 'smacks' of Nazi Germany, and their treatment of Jews.

Fine if they made those able, to do community work, and earn their keep, but not effectively 'rob' them of what little possessions they managed to hang on to in the journey to wherever they find themselves.

This. I think its a disgusting idea and will cost much more than its worth. How are they going to establish whether someone has any money compared to them just fleeing a country. As soon as its known then they will hide any valuables.

A lot of the kids and women have resorted to prostitution in order to pay the people smugglers and survive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34286458

Agree with JFK they could be given some community work. What would be better is if they processed them quickly and deported the one they idnt wnat back to the camps.

First, your partner is from an EU nation and I'm guessing that she's a regular Jane who just happens to be working and living here instead of there? Good luck to her I say.

Second, real refugees aren't like your partner. Good luck to them I say, and I know a few who came here with little more than a passport.

Third, economic migrants aren't like refugees. Even the ones who pretend that they are.

But that's not what some people on here were saying. They were implying that us 'indigenous Brits' somehow deserve more because we've contributed in since we were born (paraphrasing fairly I hope) and as people who have moved here as economic migrants haven't that surely they should be expected to pay something? Isn't that pretty much what we are saying?

Agree with most of what you say but I think the political message is to the electorate of Denmark showing just how tough the state can be thereby trying to placate those who would otherwise vote for a far right party.

Plus, I doubt very much that, before you abandon your home to flee any conflict, you would sit down and compare the pros and cons of countries when deciding which one to head for.

I think what is proposed is unworkable unless the Danish government are condoning intimate personal searches such as used in prisons when searching for drugs.

I think that once you've left whatever region that you are fleeing from and trying to decide where you feel you'd be better off starting a new life, once news filters through about Denmark's stance then I can't see many choosing it as their destination.

I agree, about your post about it also being done to placate the more hostile to refugees members of Danish society.

Pointless measure that result in little gain, that might not even be enough to offset the additional domestic resources required to enforce it.

But confiscating the assets of home-grown jihadis and criminally-convicted refugees/economic migrants, however... (an old suggestion of mine in another, long-closed thread ;)).

But that's not what some people on here were saying. They were implying that us 'indigenous Brits' somehow deserve more because we've contributed in since we were born (paraphrasing fairly I hope) and as people who have moved here as economic migrants haven't that surely they should be expected to pay something? Isn't that pretty much what we are saying?

I'm happy to make distinctions especially as I have friends who were both economic migrants and refugees.

Are we talking about economic migrants who arrive with nothing but want to hang onto their valuables while suckling money, housing, education, fuel, food and welfare, off the state's nipple?

We can probably both build a good argument that these people should be contributing what they can, including valuables. It's an important distinction.

No, this is a great idea. NOONE can hand over any wealth to their kids AT ALL. When you die EVERYTHING you own or ever owned gets handed to the state. Only fair that we all start at zero. Bought a house for your kid or paid a deposit for them? House now belongs to the state.

Well in favour of this idea, nice one milquetoast1. Best SF suggestion for a long time.

I was going to say what a stupid idea, then there you go agreeing wth it unless you are being ironic (am tending towards the berberis is being berberis). Quite simply you would ensure you handed over all your money or spent it before you died. In the meantime the country has an expensive administration system trying to track who owns what.