Confiscating migrant's valuables to fund immigrant facilities

Valuables  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Valuables

• should be confiscated
    • shouldn't be confiscated

It's a bit of a worrying trend. However the article says it's only a fraction of people who are affected.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be a refugee in Switzerland. It costs a fortune to exist in that country. But hey ho. Your average refugee might not know that, or it might be the only place they managed to arrive at.

Are refugees arriving by parachute now? Switzerland is a land locked country.

Ridiculous proposal that will only achieve that refugees are immediately stripped of any chances to add to society once they have been granted asylum. How are they expected to find housing? To pay for basics like washing machines etc. if all their money is stripped as soon as they come in?

Pathetic reactive nationalism is what I call this sort of policy.

There you go. This proposal is so stupid that tzijlstra and I actually agree on something. What more do you need to know?

There you go. This proposal is so stupid that tzijlstra and I actually agree on something. What more do you need to know?

It's rather sad that the one thing everyone seems to agree is an utterly bone idea will actually become law.

I agree. If these people have the funds/means to fund their own initial support, they should do it by any way possible. This includes stores of cash and valuables.

This is the same logic as confiscating funds from your bank account in order to provide FSCS cover. Or seizing other assets to provide ‘free’ healthcare or education.

When a government awards itself the authority to attack one particular group, they give themselves that same power to attack everyone.

People fleeing a country being taxed as a result, y'know, that sounds awfully familiar:

The Reich Flight Tax in Nazi Germany

Did you know that the Nazis made many Jews pay for their train tickets to the concentration camps? [LINK]

€25m in today’s money. Hey, they weren't running a charity. These things cost money.

Perhaps we shouldn't feel so high and mighty in this, the Space Year 2016. Some of us are finding it just as easy to treat other people as less than human. The sentiment is the same. Only the name of the religious group being vilified has changed.

The Danish government are looking at a new law where migrants will have their money and valuables confiscated to pay for immigration centres that they are using.

It won't apply to people who pay their way, but if migrants turn up and expect to be looked after they would have everything valuable taken off them except wedding rings.

The danishTax laws, from the 1960s.are ,If you have more than 10 000 pounds, in cash & valuables, you have no right to any form of Social Security. Why should these economic migrants, be treat'd differently than the hardworking tax paying Danes ?

there's poverty in Denmark and many national Danes are on welfare they are subject'd to means testing so should migrants.

The danishTax laws, from the 1960s.are ,If you have more than 10 000 pounds, in cash & valuables, you have no right to any form of Social Security. Why should these economic migrants, be treat'd differently than the hardworking tax paying Danes ?

there's poverty in Denmark and many national Danes are on welfare they are subject'd to means testing so should migrants.

Im sure there used to be something similar here (probably still is?:huh:).

I think It was something like £6000 or more in savings,and your not entitled to jobseekers allowance.

So from that point of view,there is a valid point to be made.

This is the same logic as confiscating funds from your bank account in order to provide FSCS cover. Or seizing other assets to provide ‘free’ healthcare or education.

This makes no sense. The Financial Services Compensation Scheme does not take money from you to give back and neither does this happen for our healthcare. Can you explain what you actually mean.

Good job I started drinking after the game today or I would have thought we actually agreed on something reading this.. . . .. ... .... .>W>HAT?!!?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.euronews.com/2016/01/26/danish-parliament-passes-the-asylum-law-to-restrict-migrants-rights/

The law has been passed today. Though what I did not know was that this simply brings them into line with Danes who have to sell assets if they want to claim benefits. Its a shame that was not reported earlier as it clearly makes a big difference to whether the law is fair or not.

Personally I think it's extremely distasteful, and 'smacks' of Nazi Germany, and their treatment of Jews.

Fine if they made those able, to do community work, and earn their keep, but not effectively 'rob' them of what little possessions they managed to hang on to in the journey to wherever they find themselves.

Believe you me this is nothing like the Nazi treatment of Jews.