Don't head the lace

slotter47

I remember stripping off to get the football gear on at the high point in Graves Park (Bl---y freezin') and sometimes raining then the trudge home, raiding a nearby allotment for a stick of rhubarb and then making sure I still had the token for the tram (Circa 1950-52).

LOL, I always carried sugar in a twist tied sheet of newspaper, when out in those days,just in case I came across a rhubarb patch.;)

Talking of cold spots what about castle dyke ringinglow and a long walk to pitches

First time I ever played rugby (ok, so it's not football, but I think it is relevant) and it was on Castle Dyke, in the fog (so I couldn't see the far posts), with snow on the ground (so I couldn't see the lines), and raining. Then the teacher told me to kick the ball out - but that is not usually a good thing to do in football. For some reason, I struggled to understand the game!

I once met Stan Mortenson who at the time had a job as the games manager at Pontins Ainsdale Holiday Park in its first year of operation!.Talking at the bar with him he swore me down that when he played for England he told Stanley Mathews to cross the ball with the lace facing outwards so he could head it more powerfully,he said Mathews was so skillfull he never failed!.Of course he was pulling my leg,he was brilliant company and told many stories about his career I never forgot our meeting all those years ago!.

If you want a cold place to play football -try Wadsley common-----I think it was Maccabi's home ground

Remember getting changed in what was like a lean to greenhouse - with a barrel of rainwater outside for washing - if it hadn't frozen.

Sheep grazing at the side of the pitch.

Bole Hills could be a bit on the breezy side as well.

Edited by Longcol

In the 70s-80s we had it cushy the team was Roland Arms Aston,our ground was on Lodge Lane!.We had separate heated dressing rooms for both home and away teams plus the referee had his own room too!.Most times we had nets on the goals we had a good set up and a good team too,we played in the Sunday Imperial league,when playing away we suffered the same conditions as all the posters on this post,brrr I,m shivering just thinking about it!.:mad::roll:

I don,t know about weight but it felt like a ton of bricks if you didn,t connect with your head properly and if you did it bloody rattled your brain around a bit alright especially when wet!.Oh and when the lace was facing you it was imprinted on your forehead nicely disfiguring your good looks!.