Cost of t.v in hospital

Easy answer.LEARN english or have insurance in place so they dont drain nhs funds.I`m off to goa soon and i have just paid £101 for our travel insurance so if we end up in a goan hospital my insurance will pay for care and translators.Simples

I don't think that it's as simple as you believe.

I don't think that your idea of the patient turning up in A&E with really bad abdominal pain and a poor standard of English, and the patient being referred see an English tutor, stat, is workable, so you'll have to try again.

I'm afraid that's not part of the NHS's remit to teach or ensure that everyone who turns up at their doors has a good standard of English.

---------- Post added 17-01-2016 at 19:53 ----------

Well a member of the hospital staff then. How is the interpretor any more qualified to pass on an informed medical translation?

If a member of medical staff was free to follow the patient through their process, then that of course is preferable.

The hospital will use an interpreter from a prearranged provider who'll have experience. The Sheffield hospitals use a much cheaper method if possible, where the translation is carried out over a phone line.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Well a member of the hospital staff then. How is the interpretor any more qualified to pass on an informed medical translation?

denlin just ignore him/her.

like i said my oh has spent a lot of time in hospital so with the heartache and worry that brings alongside losing an income.daily visiting.parking fees.running the house whilst being a parent etc etc

to pay for a tv after years of them being free then it just stinks whilst nhs spends £?? on foreigners.

Views that come from people who i bet hasnt spent much time in hospital are not worth bothering with

They could have an English speaking member of staff or a relative of the patient instead of spending £500 an our on an interpreter when the health service is cash strapped. How would a non English speaker cope in the world outside the hospital?

Doesnt look like they get anything like £500 an hour.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/Nhs-Interpreter-jobs

My understanding is they do use a relative if one is available or someone who is proficient at that langauage internally.

denlin just ignore him/her.

like i said my oh has spent a lot of time in hospital so with the heartache and worry that brings alongside losing an income.daily visiting.parking fees.running the house whilst being a parent etc etc

to pay for a tv after years of them being free then it just stinks whilst nhs spends £?? on foreigners.

Views that come from people who i bet hasnt spent much time in hospital are not worth bothering with

I'm sorry that my challenging your view point has vexed you so much.

I've been in hospitals long enough over the last 15 years to know that interpreters do not cost £500 per hour. The Sheffield hospitals have a system that's a lot more efficient where the translation is carried out over the phone if it is possible.

As I've mentioned earlier on this thread, the TV system is a private business that was forced upon the NHS nationally by the government of the day. The NHS doesn't see a penny of the income raised by the TVs.

I am also sorry that money being spent on the welfare of foreigners gets you so angry, but this isn't a problem that the NHS can solve.

The company that provides the service will argue that now each individual patient has their own tv to watch, and it costs them money to provide this service.

That point is already in play as they provide a free channel already. They can provide more if they choose. The loss can easily be made up in rising the fees of the premium services or to provide more quality premium services that people who can afford it will pay for.

That point is already in play as they provide a free channel already. They can provide more if they choose. The loss can easily be made up in rising the fees of the premium services or to provide more quality premium services that people who can afford it will pay for.

My own personal point of view is that I too think that they offer a poor value for money for the service they provide, but I don't really know what the answer is because due to the financial position of the NHS there no scope for them to take over and offer a better service to the patients

If I remember correctly the first company that provided the service folded and we're onto the second company so even at the current levels of charges, it may not be enough to run a profitable business.

I'm sorry that my challenging your view point has vexed you so much.

I've been in hospitals long enough over the last 15 years to know that interpreters do not cost £500 per hour. The Sheffield hospitals have a system that's a lot more efficient where the translation is carried out over the phone if it is possible.

As I've mentioned earlier on this thread, the TV system is a private business that was forced upon the NHS nationally by the government of the day. The NHS doesn't see a penny of the income raised by the TVs.

I am also sorry that money being spent on the welfare of foreigners gets you so angry, but this isn't a problem that the NHS can solve.

Again JFK! Sneakily wording things differently. How many times in recent days have you done this on different threads?!

I think it's a sign that you are bored with SF.

Again JFK! Sneakily wording things differently. How many times in recent days have you done this on different threads?!

I think it's a sign that you are bored with SF.

I do not understand your point, maybe you could explain things a little clearer.

I do not understand your point, maybe you could explain things a little clearer.

You know what I mean.

'The NHS doesn't see a penny of the income raised by the TVs'

Word that as 'The NHS no longer has to pay for TV/ services because it has outsourced it to a private company, saving the NHS money', I think is that how it really is.

Saved money/income raised