Cost of t.v in hospital

The thing is there is no PAT requirement but plugging it in is another matter as you could be accused of stealing the Hospitals electricity.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:15 ----------

Hospitals have plenty of unused sockets in the rooms.

Theres a pat requirement if the hospital says there is one.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the hospital policy may be to have PAT testing certs of all portable appliances.

PAT testing is not a certainty that the equipment is safe as it's like an MOT it's just a spot check to see if it's OK when tested. If it it passes a series of pre programmed tests in the machine, it gets a ticket, it doesn't matter if a minute later it says 'bang' .

Are you allowed to charge devices on hospital plugs?

You are if they give you permission to do so. Its their property and they can set their own rules. I'd imagine they want to avoid any fire hazards, any risk of a patient injuring themselves and any potential legal action. The amount of electric used must be pennies.

Are you reading paperbacks or using an e-reader? Get well soon.

Good old paperbacks that need no electricity supply :)

I'm getting there thank you- the infection is now under control so although I still feel like I've been hit by a bus, I'm no longer in danger :)

Good old paperbacks that need no electricity supply :)

I'm getting there thank you- the infection is now under control so although I still feel like I've been hit by a bus, I'm no longer in danger :)

I thought I hadnt seen you for a while. I like your insights they are always full of common sense and I dont say that very often for SF.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:34 ----------

No there is not as the PAT requirement is only valid for electrical items they own, it does not cover personal items that the patients may have.

Well I will defer o that if youve been in hispital. Its a whils since ive been there. its a common practice to require pat. The STH site says no electrical equipment, except razors and mobile phones off. I think i'd just check what the policy is beforehand.

You are if they give you permission to do so. Its their property and they can set their own rules. I'd imagine they want to avoid any fire hazards, any risk of a patient injuring themselves and any potential legal action. The amount of electric used must be pennies.

When I was in I asked and was told I could charge my netbook using a spare socked beside the bed.

Thanks. I'd never thought about it before, but I know everyone always seems to after a charge!

Last time I had people at my house, everyone was asking to plug their phones in, I wondered whether they came to see me, or just charge their phones :hihi:

I know it seems trivial, but cna you imagine the disruption evacuating a hospital would be and all the care lost. The odds increase if you have hundreds of chargers. It still might only be a tiny risk, buut its easier for the hopsital (maybe overkill) to say no. Apelike suggests they might turn a blind eye to it. Just check before you go otherise and if they say Pat test, then you cna get one done for a few £.