Cost of t.v in hospital

I know it seems trivial, but cna you imagine the disruption evacuating a hospital would be and all the care lost. The odds increase if you have hundreds of chargers. It still might only be a tiny risk, buut its easier for the hopsital (maybe overkill) to say no. Apelike suggests they might turn a blind eye to it. Just check before you go otherise and if they say Pat test, then you cna get one done for a few £.

I don't think it's trivial at all. Like you say, a big hospital, and especially one in tower form (like the RHH) with hundreds of chargers running wouldn't be ideal.

I don't worry about chargers in my house, but I do switch them off when I go out even though my tablet and phone chargers are from the manufacturer.

These days you can buy chargers for about £1 in pound shops ;)

Who knows how many of these crap things are cooking away in hospitals. I wondered too if people just plugged them in without asking. It's cheeky as much as anything!

Which is why it's nice that bedside televisions in the Children's hospital are free.

Well that's probably of good thing for them.

You'd expect that though. Children need more attention, so a distraction to keep their mind off things is more important than an adult.

Perhaps adults who moan about 'having' to pay for it, are being childish :)

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 23:41 ----------

communal television rooms and nothing but volunteer led hospital radio at your bedside, that's fine. Dont use the service and keep hospitals being hospitals.

This is one of my memories of going to see people in hospital. If in hospital I would probably read for a bit, and watch TV for a change (if physically possible). Mix things up a bit in an otherwise place you don't particularly want to be.

I remember though it wasn't a TV room. There was just a TV on at one end of the ward with a couple of people sat around it.

I think I would prefer this. If TV/Internet/etc was on offer in bed, I'd probably just lay in bed 24 hours a day bored reading forums :hihi: At least there was some human personal interaction at the TV area even if they are annoying.

When I was very ill in the Hallamshire I was shocked at how much the tv's were but being a tight Yorkshireman refused to pay it. What got me most though was that people would watch it solid for the full 12 hours or whatever just to get the full quota and many purchased the tokens thinks that they could just watch an hour here and there.

They're a complete rip off

When I was very ill in the Hallamshire I was shocked at how much the tv's were but being a tight Yorkshireman refused to pay it. What got me most though was that people would watch it solid for the full 12 hours or whatever just to get the full quota and many purchased the tokens thinks that they could just watch an hour here and there.

They're a complete rip off

You're completely at liberty to not pay for a card and therefore not be 'ripped off' though, aren't you? I've done several stays in hospital without any TV at all and come through them all without incident.

In fact, come to think of it, I've only been anywhere with a TV once in all of my hospital stays and then I couldn't get to it to change the channel or volume so I chose to not have it turned on at all.

The TVs in hospitals are there if you want to pay to use them. I never used them when i was in but people do. And if you want to use them you have to pay, They may be expensive but when your laid up in a hosptal and want your daily fix of some program or another you will pay what ever it cost.

Why so ? I am surprised you advocate such dangerous advice

I have witnessed first hand what can happen on a hospital ward when a patient uses faulty electrical equipment they have brought in from home.

It could have been so much worse but only involved a burnt mattress and singed sheets thanks to the quick action of nursing staff.

You should not put electrical eqipment of any sort on soft furnishings even if they have passed the PAT test

Why so ? I am surprised you advocate such dangerous advice

I have witnessed first hand what can happen on a hospital ward when a patient uses faulty electrical equipment they have brought in from home.

It could have been so much worse but only involved a burnt mattress and singed sheets thanks to the quick action of nursing staff.

This was a real event caused by a patient leaving a mobile phone charging on his bed.

Said patient was receiving oxygen therapy at the time - the mix of flames and oxygen doesn't bear thinking about especially in a hospital setting.

In my experience patients are discouraged from using electrical equipment brought in from home bit it's very difficult to police and many people think it's their right to be able to use all manner of electrical devices in the clinical area.

Personally, and it may seem hard,but I don't believe any electrical device should be permitted - especially mobile phones with camera facilities should be allowed in acute clinical areas for the sake of peace and dignity not to mention safety.

Edited by Daven

Has anyone thought about OAP's on a state pension? Many of them spend much longer in hospital than a few days and it's unlikely that they will be able to use tablets or laptops Many can't even leave their beds to watch on a communal TV. please don't say they should read a book either, not everyone wants to do this, for many OAP's a television is their only form of distraction from a horrible situation.

Don't forget, we are customers now, not patients. So we are charged accordingly. Quite wrong, but there you are.

Angel1.

You are patient in hospital. Hospital provides healthcare. Not entertainment.

They give you opportunity to purchase entertainment from provider they allowed. They are fully in their right to not allow anyone else to provide services on their grounds. You may not allow roma gypsies to play accordion in your living room and they only allow accredited operators to provide entertainment services. If you don like that just dont use it.

No there is not as the PAT requirement is only valid for electrical items they own, it does not cover personal items that the patients may have.

If they say you have to do rain dance and have your equipment approved by Cherokee witchdoctor then this is requirement. It is their socket and their electricity and they get to decide what can be pluged into it. For whatever reason that they do not have to give you. If you disagree you can always take your plug elsewhere.