Cost of t.v in hospital

And there was me thinking you went to hospital to get better not to watch television. People objecting to having to pay to watch television in hospital can simply not watch it.

Take a book in with you.

You obviously have not spent much time in a Hospital. Some people are stuck in them for weeks/months. It can get very boring if all you have is a few books.

There were were TV is hospitals before that were free. Then Labour got involved and allowed these companies to come into Hospitals and take over.

Thankfully the current government have their head screwed on and are going to require hospitals provide free wireless. This wont fix the issue but will give many a choice.

I didnt realise the hopsitals were part of the justice system.

Btw it would only work out at £10 a day if you were to watch TV for 24 hours solid on 2 x £5 cards. The other version includes phone , internet, films etc, so you wouldnt be comparing like with like.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 21:33 ----------

Your benefits are clearly much more than my pension. Only £10 per day, you must be taking the shaving water. When you pay for a card you use it all at one go, you can't save credits.

It's obviously gone over your head but the point I was making was that in this country criminals are better treated than the sick.

You obviously have not spent much time in a Hospital. Some people are stuck in them for weeks/months. It can get very boring if all you have is a few books.

There were were TV is hospitals before that were free. Then Labour got involved and allowed these companies to come into Hospitals and take over.

Thankfully the current government have their head screwed on and are going to require hospitals provide free wireless. This wont fix the issue but will give many a choice.

Yes there were TVs in hospitals for free but they were in communal areas and shared by multiple patients.

Did they offer a range of channels and films - no

Did they offer personal choice of what to watch - no

Did they offer enhanced facilities such as phone and internet - no

Did they provide bedside convenience for each individual patient - no.

Do you really think even in 2015 the NHS budget would allow for such a premium service to every patient for free??

You can CHOOSE whether you use the service or not. Simple as that.

If we have a patient who is unfortunate enough to be in hospital for a long period, you will notice that the prices go down the longer the use - its around £45 for a month. Expensive, yes, but its not really that much more than what most people pay for their domestic tv/broadband services.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 13:35 ----------

I didnt realise the hopsitals were part of the justice system.

Btw it would only work out at £10 a day if you were to watch TV for 24 hours solid on 2 x £5 cards. The other version includes phone , internet, films etc, so you wouldnt be comparing like with like.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 21:33 ----------

Your benefits are clearly much more than my pension. Only £10 per day, you must be taking the shaving water. When you pay for a card you use it all at one go, you can't save credits.

It's obviously gone over your head but the point I was making was that in this country criminals are better treated than the sick.

Basic state pension is £115 a week at the moment. Someone unfortunate enough to be in hospital for a long period will not be buying food or paying for heating or having dependants to pay for or a car to run. So......

Its £20 for 5 days worth of viewing. Hardly breaking the bank each week for those who CHOOSE to want the television service.

Yes there were TVs in hospitals for free but they were in communal areas and shared by multiple patients.

Did they offer a range of channels and films - no

Did they offer personal choice of what to watch - no

Did they offer enhanced facilities such as phone and internet - no

Did they provide bedside convenience for each individual patient - no.

Do you really think even in 2015 the NHS budget would allow for such a premium service to every patient for free??

You can CHOOSE whether you use the service or not. Simple as that.

If we have a patient who is unfortunate enough to be in hospital for a long period, you will notice that the prices go down the longer the use - its around £45 for a month. Expensive, yes, but its not really that much more than what most people pay for their domestic tv/broadband services.

The NHS could have kept the communal TVs so patients had a choice, but they removed them, which had the effect of herding people into the pay-per-view platform.

The companies who provide this service are obliged to provide one free channel (out of the 20+ free to air channels there are available). DO you know which Chanel they provide. CBBC. Now considering the vast majority of people in an adult hospital are adults (shock horror) this is these companies sticking two fingers up at both the NHS and the customers.

The NHS could have kept the communal TVs so patients had a choice, but they removed them, which had the effect of herding people into the pay-per-view platform.

The NHS had no choice in the matter, the changes were imposed upon them by the government. Just to reiterate, the TV scheme is run by a private company and has nothing to do with the NHS.

the last time the wife was in she took her tablet but they said she could not use the charger unless it was pat tested a way round this is to buy some of those extra plug in power packs now available for a few quid

Really? PAT something without a lead?

1. Check casing isn't cracked or damaged.

Er - done. That's it PAT is one of the biggest scams going these days.

The NHS had no choice in the matter, the changes were imposed upon them by the government. Just to reiterate, the TV scheme is run by a private company and has nothing to do with the NHS.

I don't know the technical reasons or the contractual ones either, but if the NHS was forced to remove all TV's due to the introduction of these paid services, the people who negotiated this contract are at fault. Provision should have been made for people to have access to a TV at least in the communal areas or if bed ridden at their bedside.

I think the issue is more to do with the failure in negotiating a better deal than much else.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 15:08 ----------

Really? PAT something without a lead?

1. Check casing isn't cracked or damaged.

Er - done. That's it PAT is one of the biggest scams going these days.

Or of they want to be really pedantic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labels-Adhesive-Portable-Appliance-Testing/dp/B00RY1BO3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452870453&sr=8-1&keywords=pat+test+stickers

£2.50 and your done.

I was merely pointing out you werent comparing like with like. its you that said only £10 a day out of context, when I was in fact pointing out the only way it costs that amount is if you take all the extras including internet, films , phone and games or the unlikely event you bought 2x £5 cards. It was a poor example.

If you are in hospital for a longer period, then you buy one of the longer term cards or do as everyone else suggested do without, take a book or have a tablet or dvd player.

Do I think its expensive? Yes. Would I use it? No.

Edited by 999tigger

I don't know the technical reasons or the contractual ones either, but if the NHS was forced to remove all TV's due to the introduction of these paid services, the people who negotiated this contract are at fault. Provision should have been made for people to have access to a TV at least in the communal areas or if bed ridden at their bedside.

I think the issue is more to do with the failure in negotiating a better deal than much else.

The NHS was not involved with the negotiations, the TVs were imposed upon them. The agreements were made on a governmental level.

I'd spectate that the agreement was that, the private company would install and run the TVs at no extra cost to the NHS. They then claimed that they'd struggle to recoup their outlay and make a profit if a free alternative was available to their potential customers, so part of the agreement would have to include the removal of free TVs.