Cost of t.v in hospital

My husband was in the Northern General last October.

Before his operation he was on Firth 2 where a day room was available with TV ( as well as the 'pay-for ' bedside TVs.

After his operation he was on the High Dependency Ward where the bedside TVs were totally free all the time.

Edited by francypants

It's a very nice, large, touch screen one too !

Is this on a ward?

I'd be interested to hear from patients in other Sheffield hospitals, because from my experience they're not widely available on the wards, although some waiting rooms in some clinics have them.

You are patient in hospital. Hospital provides healthcare. Not entertainment.

It could easily be argued that part of that healthcare is providing comfort in the form of entertainment to help people recover from what could be classed as a stressful time.

If they say you have to do rain dance and have your equipment approved by Cherokee witchdoctor then this is requirement.

No, it has to adhere to NHS and H&S guidelines which are clearly set out.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 21:46 ----------

If they didn't get paid then the companies would pull out..what then? has the NHS got money to spend on TV's?

The original company that set this all up actually went bankrupt from underestimating the installation and setup costs and a new company bailed it out. They then set the charge which is in place today.

Edited by apelike

It could easily be argued that part of that healthcare is providing comfort in the form of entertainment to help people recover from what could be classed as a stressful time.

Go on then give us some guidance on where there is a duty of the NHS to provide you with TV. You go there to get treated for medical conditions.

Perhaps you can claim it as a human right.

Edited by 999tigger

Go on then give us some guidance on where there is a duty of the NHS to provide you with TV. You go there to get treated for medical conditions.

I didn't say there was guidance or a duty to provide one only that providing one could be helpful to recovery.

As I've said, many, if not all the TVs that used to be available in day rooms and on the wards used to be provided by charities and donations.

I believe that when the big companies moved in with their individual, over the bed TVs, part of the deal was that all the other TVs had to be taken out to remove competition.

Or so I was told by a nurse.

As I've said, many, if not all the TVs that used to be available in day rooms and on the wards used to be provided by charities and donations.

I believe that when the big companies moved in with their individual, over the bed TVs, part of the deal was that all the other TVs had to be taken out to remove competition.

Or so I was told by a nurse.

Obviously this nurse was wrong..... see posts 71 & 72.