Is there a good teacher of Computing in Sheffield who can help me?

Hesther

I've just learned that my child who was predicted an A at GCSE has just got a D in the mock exam.

I am desperately looking for someone who can provide one to one tuition in line with the OCR GCSE Computing syllabus.

I am a Computer Science teacher and I teach OCR Computer Science.

Firstly, don't worry, there is plenty of time!

Secondly you need to know what your child is being assessed on. There are three elements, the Exam (40%), and two controlled assessments; a practical investigation (30%) and a programming project (30%). How is he/she doing in the two controlled assessments because it's a bit early to be getting a good grade in the exam. This is because it is likely his/her teacher has left the theory to the end of the course, which most teachers, including myself have done. The low grade is probably a 'scare tactic', which I personally do not approve of.

If he/she is doing well in the controlled assessments (at least one of these should have been submitted by now) then the exam should fall into line by June, as it is significantly less demanding than the controlled assessments? However, a grade A/A* is a real challenge and the new curriculum is being changed to make it easier, so you might need to prepare yourself for a B or even a C.

Choose A level Computer Science, NOT BTEC (I can't stress this enough). He/she MUST have an A level in Maths as well for a good career in IT.

I do not teach in a Sheffield school, but I can provide help via e-mail if you need more help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binster

He/she MUST have an A level in Maths as well for a good career in IT.

why?

i have work in IT and have an A level in maths and i dont really recall using it.

They will need it to get accepted on most good Computer Science degree programmes, assuming that's what they want to do. It's the best way of keeping all options open.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

They will need it to get accepted on most good Computer Science degree programmes, assuming that's what they want to do. It's the best way of keeping all options open.

i guess though the teacher specifically mentioned career not degree,

i have a chemistry degree not a cs one and i dont feel it's held me back

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecanary

i guess though the teacher specifically mentioned career not degree,

i have a chemistry degree not a cs one and i dont feel it's held me back

Sure - but a lot of science degrees require A level maths too. Not having maths will only close doors.

If course, if they have no intention of ever doing a degree, it is less important.

He/she MUST have an A level in Maths as well for a good career in IT.

This is just not true in all cases, it depends what exactly you want to do. 'IT' covers a VAST array of careers and many of them do not need an A level in Maths. I work in IT and don't have one, or any degree at all. I did an A Level in Computing and don't even feel that was actually necessary.

This is just not true in all cases, it depends what exactly you want to do. 'IT' covers a VAST array of careers and many of them do not need an A level in Maths. I work in IT and don't have one, or any degree at all. I did an A Level in Computing and don't even feel that was actually necessary.

Apologies for not making myself clear. In Higher Education, for Computer Science degrees, at the better universities, and 'A' level in Maths is pretty much mandatory for entry.

In schools we have to look at what is happening in the future and not what people have gotten by with in the past. In six or so years when my year 11 students are leaving university they will be competing in computer technologies that are just in the planning stages now, against graduates from India, China and other strong international talent. Computer Science and development is a global community and the bar will be much higher in the future.

Doing a job is easy; with experience. The real trick is getting a good job in the first place, and that's where education usually comes in.

Edited by Binster

That's also our experience of looking at University requirements, Binster.

The trouble with this is though, that schools cannot attract good teachers of Computing because the salaries for teachers have become so out of line with what efficient professionals can get in the private sector. Add to that the workload of a teacher, and those that do consider it, are soon off elsewhere. There are simply not the good teachers to teach our children these valuable, crucial skills.

If you look at A' Level computer results in recent years across our city and compare then with other subjects, they are absolutely atrocious. Our children are being sold short. This really is a national scandal.