Camerons So Called Deal With The EU.

So how is dave doing so far,

"Brits to lose benefits under plans to clamp down on European migration: Merkel offers ‘nonsense’ deal to Cameron"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3400234/Fears-EU-deal-offer-Merkel-curb-migrant-benefits-Nonsense-plans-poorest-Britons-banned-receiving-tax-credits.html#ixzz3xIpvcbHv

It sounds like you've never been involved in a negotiation if you would be prepared to accept the other side's first suggestion. :rolleyes: Don't go on holiday to Morocco.

So how is dave doing so far,

"Brits to lose benefits under plans to clamp down on European migration: Merkel offers ‘nonsense’ deal to Cameron"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3400234/Fears-EU-deal-offer-Merkel-curb-migrant-benefits-Nonsense-plans-poorest-Britons-banned-receiving-tax-credits.html#ixzz3xIpvcbHv

A year ago the Guardian carried a story about Brits abroad claiming benefits."Unemployed Britons in Europe are drawing much more in benefits and allowances in the wealthier EU countries than their nationals are claiming in the UK, despite the British government’s arguments about migrants flocking in to the country to secure better welfare payments."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

A year ago the Guardian carried a story about Brits abroad claiming benefits."Unemployed Britons in Europe are drawing much more in benefits and allowances in the wealthier EU countries than their nationals are claiming in the UK, despite the British government’s arguments about migrants flocking in to the country to secure better welfare payments."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

The clue is in the first sentence and the data in that article.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 09:59 ----------

It sounds like you've never been involved in a negotiation if you would be prepared to accept the other side's first suggestion. :rolleyes: Don't go on holiday to Morocco.

Tbh Eric whatever he gets he will hail as a major breakthrough, but am not expecting it to amount to much at all. Will wait and see, but theres nothing he can do on free movement and he has an uphill battle to doing anything which is discriminatory.

His way out seems to be being discriminatory against everyone i.e UK citizens as well.

i.e not being allowed in work benefits or any benefits for the first 4 years. That might be a deterrent for EU migrants, but would also penalise new young workers born in the UK.

At the same time as this, your point being?

"Twice as many EU immigrants claiming unemployment benefits in UK than vice versa, new research shows"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11355148/Twice-as-many-EU-immigrants-claiming-unemployment-benefits-in-UK-than-vice-versa-new-research-show.html

Tbh Eric whatever he gets he will hail as a major breakthrough, but am not expecting it to amount to much at all. Will wait and see, but theres nothing he can do on free movement and he has an uphill battle to doing anything which is discriminatory.

His way out seems to be being discriminatory against everyone i.e UK citizens as well.

i.e not being allowed in work benefits or any benefits for the first 4 years. That might be a deterrent for EU migrants, but would also penalise new young workers born in the UK.

If he gets anything it will be something of benefit to the UK that we didn't have before. But unless it is something very very susbstantive I'll still be voting OUT.

I tend to agree with you. Cameron's going to be praised and criticised in equal measure so it's something that he's even having a go, even with the weight of Euro sceptics pushing him.

The negotiation and referendum is a bit low key just like his term of office has largely been characterised by being a bit boring.

I quite like our governments to be a bit boring to be honest. Politicians almost always get into a terrible mess when they try to leave their mark in history.

Addressing all his points in plain and simple English:

Regarding immigrant benefits, the simple fact remains this: Britain is one of a few countries where the system is all-inclusive. In most EU countries you have to pay in to the system to reap the benefits already. Cameron wants the EU to solve a UK problem, nothing new there then.

Regarding 'competitiveness' you can read that he is happy with the TTIP and would happily see many more of such deals (think Ukraine), which is already on the EU agenda.

Regarding economic governance, he doesn't want the EU to be able to apply the same rules it applies to Euro-nation banks in the UK. In effect that means he is blocking the 'Banking Tax' introduced in the EU to make sure that when the banks screw up again, it will be them paying instead of the taxpayer (stew on that for a bit).

His point regarding sovereignty is a non-issue for almost all EU countries except for the one that keeps voting clowns into the European Parliament (read UK). Most countries already have the ability to block EU proposals by, surprise surprise, actually working in the EU parliament. The fact that the UK has never taken serious its democratic role in the EU (hence the superfluous view spewed here with frequence - the EU is undemocratic) is debet to this issue, not the EU.

Cameron is asking for nothing and will get nothing. The reason the EU is 'fighting' him on these issues is because the other EU leaders are increasingly annoyed with the complete and utter disregard of the EU that emits from Downing Street. In all truth - the EU (politiciians) are getting to the point where they realise that life without the UK is a hell of a lot easier for all involved.

You can't build a house on sand and you can't build a sustainable relationship on lies. British politicians have told so many lies to the British public over the years about the EU.

What might swing the vote is the "migrant crisis". Free movement of labour and capital is central to EU thinking; I can't see Cameron getting anything on that. And if 1 million illegal economic immigrants a year get given EU citizenship, then we're out.

I must have been out of the country when we had the EU presidential election, who did you vote for?
The MEP candidate of his choice, I expect, like I and all others who bothered to exercise their democratic right to elect their local representative at the European Parliament.

Which MEP did you vote for?

The local gravy train-riding EU expenses-maxxing-and-fiddling workshy UKIP nominee...

...or were you a bit more bothered about your constituency, and the UK as a Member State, being pro-actively represented and heard at the European Parliament?

Edited by L00b