Sheffield Knife Amnesty

pikachu

I think every boy who graduated from the cubs to the scouts in the 1950s enjoyed a trip to the Scout Shop to get a sheath knife to wear on his belt.

I still have mine in the garage,decorated with some fur on the sheath.

The irony is that as an 11 year old I could walk the streets with it,but today I would be arrested.

I won't be handing mine in as it comes in very handy for a number of reasons,none of them to do with harming anyone else.

I seem to remember buying a Scout stave at the same time which would probably also be considered a potential weapon today.

As a Girl Guide, aged 11 or so, I sported a stag horn knife on my belt - ready for whittling twigs/branches to make a tri-pod for washing/ cooking purposes,or for making a camp fire. We were taught to respect the use of the knife and how to use it safely.

Probably because people who carry Leathermans aren't often stopped and searched by the police, and if they are the police are sensible enough to not charge them.

This is bang on, the police aren't stupid. There's at least three locking knifes around our house and usually one in the cars and there's no reason for the police to even ask for a reason for their posession because they don't need to persecute normal people who don't commit knife crime.

This is bang on, the police aren't stupid. There's at least three locking knifes around our house and usually one in the cars and there's no reason for the police to even ask for a reason for their posession because they don't need to persecute normal people who don't commit knife crime.

Lock knives ,it is an offence to carry one eric.

Exactly the point I was making.

If they're at home, then only flick, gravity, or similar knives are illegal (and they're illegal to buy as well as to own, so how did you get one).

They are still legal in a dwellingplace. It's just not permitted to take them outside. This is to cover the situations where you have them from historical times - I for example still have (somewhere) my fathers old flick knife which was perfectly legal to have in the 1950's and he used to use it for pruning and grafing roses mostly.

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 10:50 ----------

Lock knives ,it is an offence to carry one eric.

It's perfectly legal to carry one with good reason. They are not automatically illegal. It's just the confusion around what is a good reason.... I mean you'd never be able to get one home after buying it from the shop would you otherwise...

It's perfectly legal to carry one with good reason. They are not automatically illegal. It's just the confusion around what is a good reason.... I mean you'd never be able to get one home after buying it from the shop would you otherwise...

Interesting point. I'd prefer the police to have to prove that you had a bad reason to be carrying a knife. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

I use a Stanley knife or sometimes a craft type knife to cut open boxes etc at my work. Sometimes I'll go home forgetting that its in my pocket. I wonder if I'd get into trouble for having them on me on the street!