Cold caller offering 'gutter clearing service' in S8

Just had a fellow knock on my door: "We're in the area next week cleaning gutters. Have you ever considered having your gutters cleared?"

These cold callers are often (usually?) scammers.

I gave him a Paddington-style hard stare and slowly shook my head; he turned around and walked on.

If I'd had my wits about me I'd have asked for a business card. Anyway, he was about 6ft tall, mid-fifties, heavy build, male-pattern baldness, wearing a black jacket and carrying a black folder. He wasn't wearing an ID badge.

I had a chap ring my doorbell a couple of days ago, attempting to get me to have a quote done for window replacement ("We're in the area"). He was personable enough but also as persistent as a bulldog, with his right hand waving a full-colour flyer in front of my eyes. A rather dog-eared flyer, just like the huge, tatty bundle he had tucked into the crook of his left arm. He gave up eventually and left, without a sale and still clutching his flyer, and I was left wondering for how many years that sorry-looking bundle had been hawked around Sheffield.