Ballance of power, workers vs employers

Can't we just disestablish the unions.

Perhaps the reverse of what we've been discussing up to now.

Employers can choose whether to recognise unions.

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 21:47 ----------

I was listening to radio four today, they were discussing the economy, and how its more common for wages to go up, when unemployment goes down. But that is not happening.

Employers can choose whether to recognise unions.

At the moment unions have to jump through all manner of hoops in order to take limited, permitted industrial action. In return, employees taking industrial action are protected from any come-back from the employer (supposedly).

If we removed this legal framework, they'd lose that protection, but they'd be able to judge entirely for themselves whether, when and how to take industrial action.

I was listening to radio four today, they were discussing the economy, and how its more common for wages to go up, when unemployment goes down. But that is not happening.

I was listening to that as well, made me think that perhaps numbers have been manipulated, rather than unemployment really falling.

Can't we just disestablish the unions.

Perhaps the reverse of what we've been discussing up to now.

If unions had no special status in law, there'd be no debate over whether on strike or another were legal or argument about whether they should be more or less restricted by law. They'd operate as perhaps charities or at least non-profits.

We have all this law buzzing about, constantly under reform, on the subject of unions. If we just bin it, they can run their own affairs without interference and in return they'd have no special protections.

In all honesty, I don't think we are all that far from that and I'd much rather work in a company where unions are NOT needed as the company looks after it's staff as a matter of course. However, I think many people in many sectors do not have these companies yet and still require an extra layer of support which the unions offer. Bring on a world where we don't need them I say.

I was listening to that as well, made me think that perhaps numbers have been manipulated, rather than unemployment really falling.

The Guardian says pay went up 3%

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/16/uk-wages-rising-at-quickest-rate-in-six-years

As does the Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-178479/Average-pay-rises-jump-3-5.html

and Financial Director

http://www.financialdirector.co.uk/financial-director/news/2425373/uk-staff-set-for-biggest-pay-rise-boom-in-europe

and also

http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/002139.html

I'm saying that wages aren't rising as you would expect (as reported on R4 yesterday), and one possible explanation would be that the rising employment figures don't tell the whole story.

Perhaps (as I think one of those articles said), many low paid jobs have been created. Or maybe it's zero hours contracts meaning people are "employed", but barely working...

I'm saying that wages aren't rising as you would expect (as reported on R4 yesterday), and one possible explanation would be that the rising employment figures don't tell the whole story.

Perhaps (as I think one of those articles said), many low paid jobs have been created. Or maybe it's zero hours contracts meaning people are "employed", but barely working...

Or maybe employers are keeping their powder dry in anticipation of the coming "National Living Wage" ... who knows..?