Ballance of power, workers vs employers

without googling 'what have the unions ever done for us' - paid holidays, 40 hour working week, improved wages (not as much an increase as those at top tho'), fought for any members being discriminated against (race, sex). They have fought for many things that a lot of people take for granted these days. Google it and see for yourself

But somehow the unions can't get Sports Direct to pay people for being at work.

I'm all for unions looking after workers interests but Sports Direct isn't an example of then needing more power. It is an example of unions not doing the job they can already do.

With 3,000 workers it needed an undercover newspaper investigation to reveal that people arent being paid properly. The unions must have been asleep on the job not to have noticed.

I'm all for unions looking after workers interests but Sports Direct isn't an example of then needing more power. It is an example of unions not doing the job they can already do.

With 3,000 workers it needed an undercover newspaper investigation to reveal that people arent being paid properly. The unions must have been asleep on the job not to have noticed.

I've not read much about Sports Direct....Is it a heavily unionised workplace? A lot of retail organisations aren't.

I've not read much about Sports Direct....Is it a heavily unionised workplace? A lot of retail organisations aren't.

I don't know Mr M. Unite seem to have a lot to say about SD but it took the Guardian to make it an issue.

It was given as a poor example of why unions need more powers though I can see why as they were in the headlines recently. The only powers I can see that would help if they aren't unionised would be closed shops or sympathy picketing and I don't think that that any sensible people want to go back to those dark days.

I think everyone working should be in a union. It should be enforced and supported by the company you work for. This them and us culture is what does the damage. Unions trying to get one over on the company and the compant vice versa. No company can exist without it's staff and no staff member can earn anything without a company. The 2 sides are mutually beneficial and great benefits for all can be achieved by having the unions and the company working together to find solutions and not simply to make a name for themselves!

Germany has a better, not perfect but better, union system, where the aim is to find some middle ground rather than the confrontational style system we have here.

I think everyone working should be in a union. It should be enforced and supported by the company you work for. This them and us culture is what does the damage. Unions trying to get one over on the company and the compant vice versa. No company can exist without it's staff and no staff member can earn anything without a company. The 2 sides are mutually beneficial and great benefits for all can be achieved by having the unions and the company working together to find solutions and not simply to make a name for themselves!

Germany has a better, not perfect but better, union system, where the aim is to find some middle ground rather than the confrontational style system we have here.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have heard that the German 'tripartite' system is positive and consensual. Not sure if it is related but Germany invest a great deal in their plant, R&D, and workforce which helps push up productivity.

---------- Post added 18-01-2016 at 16:16 ----------

I don't know Mr M. Unite seem to have a lot to say about SD but it took the Guardian to make it an issue.

It was given as a poor example of why unions need more powers though I can see why as they were in the headlines recently. The only powers I can see that would help if they aren't unionised would be closed shops or sympathy picketing and I don't think that that any sensible people want to go back to those dark days.

If the closed shop is one union per workforce and it is mandatory then I don't agree with it. People should have a choice about whether they are members of unions - though I can understand why people who fight for workers rights get angry with people who won't participate in industrial action and who complain about unions, though are happy to reap the benefits of union action.

Germany has a better, not perfect but better, union system, where the aim is to find some middle ground rather than the confrontational style system we have here.

I don't want to join the union. My job is heavily unionised, but I judge that they do more harm than good and I don't want to support them.

I resent that they insist on negotiating my pay and conditions and remove my option to do it myself, but I tolerate it because the employer prefers to standardise the pay scheme and the conditions. And if I don't like it I can quit.

Would you support forcing me to join the union under penalty of dismissal or legal action?

I don't want to join the union. My job is heavily unionised, but I judge that they do more harm than good and I don't want to support them.

I resent that they insist on negotiating my pay and conditions and remove my option to do it myself, but I tolerate it because the employer prefers to standardise the pay scheme and the conditions. And if I don't like it I can quit.

Would you support forcing me to join the union under penalty of dismissal or legal action?

we been here before:roll: are they forcing you to join a union ? how many of your work colleagues are in the union? it seems to me that your employer and the unions are getting along fine and things are working out between them. you it seems is the one stirring the pot, you knew the conditions before you took this employment (im assuming you did)

we been here before:roll: are they forcing you to join a union ? how many of your work colleagues are in the union? it seems to me that your employer and the unions are getting along fine and things are working out between them. you it seems is the one stirring the pot, you knew the conditions before you took this employment (im assuming you did)

If you read what I quoted from sgtkate (my bold).