Ballance of power, workers vs employers

People are better off in many ways, but house prices is not one of them.

The average house price is now a greater multiple of average income than it was through any of the decades you listed.

Average house standard is also incomparable to old ones so it's still value for money. Even if more expensive now but you don't have to drop your kids in outside pool and can keep steady 22 deg C in house. Log burners became a gadget not a necessity.

Okay.

How is that relevant?

Are you trying to tell me what the legal status of unions is now? If so, you're missing the point. I'm debating with sgtkate whether it should become compulsory to join a union. If you want to debate how things are now, you've come to the wrong conversation.

It comes down to this.

If you'e not going to defend my right to not join the union. And you're clearly not.

Why on earth would I defend your right to have a union?

I think I'm talking more as an ideology, however, they are some legal requirements employers must meet to work so perhaps union membership should be the requirement for an employee. I'm not trying to force that position now, just thinking about what I believe would be the ideal. Currently must unions are mismanaged, self-obsessed and confrontational. But that's history. Look around the world for other examples of how unions should be and if we can get there, a collaborative and supportive style of union, then all staff must be a part of that. Perhaps even the term 'union' is what riles people, maybe they should be renamed? I think I'm doing a terrible job explaining here. More tea needed!

Average house standard is also incomparable to old ones so it's still value for money. Even if more expensive now but you don't have to drop your kids in outside pool and can keep steady 22 deg C in house. Log burners became a gadget not a necessity.

House standard is much higher I agree. But the link to average earnings has only failed since 2000... My house in 2000 was of the same standard it is now... (To be fair, I've moved, but both houses are structurally the same now as they were in 2000).

I think I'm talking more as an ideology, however, they are some legal requirements employers must meet to work so perhaps union membership should be the requirement for an employee. I'm not trying to force that position now, just thinking about what I believe would be the ideal. Currently must unions are mismanaged, self-obsessed and confrontational. But that's history. Look around the world for other examples of how unions should be and if we can get there, a collaborative and supportive style of union, then all staff must be a part of that. Perhaps even the term 'union' is what riles people, maybe they should be renamed? I think I'm doing a terrible job explaining here. More tea needed!

I don't care if the unions are the best and most perfect imaginable.

It's my choice to exclude myself from collective bargaining and I demand that right is preserved.

Since this is the attitude of otherwise reasonable unionists, I shall henceforth support every government step to limit the power of unions.

It is now my firm hope that unions will one day cease to exist and that anybody who attempts to form a union or engage in any kind of collective bargaining is automatically dismissed by their employer with no recourse for appeal.

This is clearly the lesser evil. As if one doesn't like one's job, one can quit. But if one doesn't wish to participate in collective bargaining the only choice is to be unemployed.

I had no idea that this was the end game of union supporters. Thank you for revealing it. At least now I know where I stand and I can firmly and utterly withdraw my previous defence of a worker's right to be a member of a union.

I don't care if the unions are the best and most perfect imaginable.

It's my choice to exclude myself from collective bargaining and I demand that right is preserved.

Since this is the attitude of otherwise reasonable unionists, I shall henceforth support every government step to limit the power of unions.

It is now my firm hope that unions will one day cease to exist and that anybody who attempts to form a union or engage in any kind of collective bargaining is automatically dismissed by their employer with no recourse for appeal.

This is clearly the lesser evil. As if one doesn't like one's job, one can quit. But if one doesn't wish to participate in collective bargaining the only choice is to be unemployed.

I had no idea that this was the end game of union supporters. Thank you for revealing it. At least now I know where I stand and I can firmly and utterly withdraw my previous defence of a worker's right to be a member of a union.

So because somebody suggested that you should loose the right to not be a member, you think it's right that everyone should lose the right to be a member?

Hypocrite.

Edited by Cyclone

House standard is much higher I agree. But the link to average earnings has only failed since 2000... My house in 2000 was of the same standard it is now... (To be fair, I've moved, but both houses are structurally the same now as they were in 2000).

That is what I don't understand.

I understand why new builds have certain price.

But old ruins match those prices. Old Victorian terraced houses with no improvements other then double glazing are sold for same price as new builds.

Would you pay 20k for old worn to bone vauxhall omega because new insignia costs that much?

Prices don't reflect state of property, it's just - is there a house there and how many bedrooms it has.

It does not reflect size as well. Noone operates in square meters like they do all over Europe. Its all about how many bedrooms.

I recently had a viewing on 4 bed. Turned out to be about 75sq meters.

1,5 half bedroom and two large storage compartments with windows.

Price did not reflect that enough.

This madness must be related to shortage on market.