Government Priorities

Saw on Calendar News last night (18th Jan 2016 ) that the government have set aside

20 million pounds for language courses for migrants.

If they are coming here to the UK then they should learn to speak our language at their own cost - not at our expense, apparently the idea behind this is so they can integrate into our society and give something back.

If they are not prepared to learn our language at their own expense then they should be sent back home.

We are constantly getting cutbacks and frontline services are being reduced, what about all those poor people who have suffered flood damage.....this 20 million should be used to help us - not people who have no intention of integrating into the British way of life.

It could also be used to maintain the state of our crumbling roads and paths.

The Government have there priorities totally wrong !

20 million is nothing.

However, this is a great policy. 22% of Muslim women in this country are unable to speak English, this is far too high and stops hem from contributing economically.

Teaching muslim women to speak English wont necessarily mean they are going to contribute to our economy due to the controlling nature of some muslim men and the religion as a whole. Im sure some will and many already do but i don't think its just a language barrier.

20 million is nothing.

However, this is a great policy. 22% of Muslim women in this country are unable to speak English, this is far too high and stops hem from contributing economically.

You (I) would expect that the younger women who have been through our education system can already speak English..won't it just be the older ones that don't? Are they going to contribute any more than they do now if they can speak English? Genuine questions

Teaching muslim women to speak English wont necessarily mean they are going to contribute to our economy due to the controlling nature of some muslim men and the religion as a whole. Im sure some will and many already do but i don't think its just a language barrier.

No it isn't just a language barrier. But language and culture and inextricably linked. The control the men have over the women is massively exacerbated by her lack of language skills. She will feel alienated and dependant on the man.

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 13:23 ----------

You (I) would expect that the younger women who have been through our education system can already speak English..won't it just be the older ones that don't? Are they going to contribute any more than they do now if they can speak English? Genuine questions

Not all of the younger generation have been through our education system. It is extremely common for western born muslims to be married off to a girl from pakistan/bagladesh et al.

I think learning English should be compulsory, monitored, and subject to serious sanctions for non compliance.

It will get some women out of the home for the first time, and mixing with other women, hopefully building confidence, and forming support networks independent of men.

I think learning English should be compulsory, monitored, and subject to serious sanctions for non compliance.

It will get some women out of the home for the first time, and mixing with other women, hopefully building confidence, and forming support networks independent of men.

Don't mention that to 'em though. Even baroness wazi got the hump with Cameron about it.

I thought it was a good idea.

Take away any and all translators for UK residents though and they might come around.

20 million is nothing.

Where does that stat come from because that strikes me as ridiculously high?