Forgemasters so it begins?

Subsidising british production yes we should....

If we lay off say 2000 steel workers...because the steel isn't competitively priced

We then as a country bear the cost of 2000 people on the dole, or on low income tax credit subsidised jobs ...another subsidy businesses that pay rubbish wages gain from indirectly as they pay workers peanuts, make profits and government tops up the worker

Then some of those 2000 workers will suffer mental health problems....what does a GP appointment cost, drugs etc....

Then those 2000 people aren't driving to work, buying sandwiches, improving their homes the whole local economy suffers

But hey we all gain cos steel is cheaper abroad....short sighted foolishness

There are so may ways we should subsidise our industries....eg. We don't build cars here in the uk anymore...but nissan and ford do....all government vehicles should be from those that manufacture in uk

Etc etc

Tinfoilhat you need one

Subsidising farming is interesting....Tory farmer landowners were the ones who disn't see themselves as a threatened british industry in the 80s so didn't care...now they are feeling it....I wish they had been a bit more longsighted and supported those who were decimated by the she devil!

You saying its beyond possibility that at least SOME of those 2000 people wont find other work.

People get laid off all the time. Its how you deal with it that counts.

Look for an alternative employer. Retrain. Do something else. Start a business. No excuses.

You saying its beyond possibility that at least SOME of those 2000 people wont find other work.

People get laid off all the time. Its how you deal with it that counts.

Look for an alternative employer. Retrain. Do something else. Start a business. No excuses.

I agree with that...but let's not bury our heads that killing off 2000 well paid jobs will be an easy transition

It will cost the country in some way

I have been there and and I am retrained and self employed....not all are as strong...and some direct government money subsidising industry makes more sense that indirect costs later....

But the indirect costs suits the government as g4s etc can deliver training programmes of questionable quality and turn a profit for shareholding Tory voterrs

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 23:13 ----------

What about the government increasing the purchase if british manufactured goods

I recall about 10 years ago in Derby a train build contract was lost to the French for about 5 million in a 1 billion contract....it cost the country more than that in what the government will have had to pour into Derby due to loss of contract

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 23:15 ----------

And what about the farmers who didn't care for british industries...but now we should support british farming industry ? Support them or let them eat their just desserts?

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 23:17

To somebody...do you know

What an

Acrostic is?

Tell us

Edited by Gmeow

I agree with that...but let's not bury our heads that killing off 2000 well paid jobs will be an easy transition

It will cost the country in some way

I have been there and and I am retrained and self employed....not all are as strong...and some direct government money subsidising industry makes more sense that indirect costs later....

But the indirect costs suits the government as g4s etc can deliver training programmes of questionable quality and turn a profit for shareholding Tory voterrs

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 23:13 ----------

What about the government increasing the purchase if british manufactured goods

I recall about 10 years ago in Derby a train build contract was lost to the French for about 5 million in a 1 billion contract....it cost the country more than that in what the government will have had to pour into Derby due to loss of contract

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 23:15 ----------

And what about the farmers who didn't care for british industries...but now we should support british farming industry ? Support them or let them eat their just desserts?

Are you pulling my leg?

Look around this very forum. Find me 10 threads with somebody wanting product that's british (God forbid sheffield made) and I'll find you 10 times as many saying first and foremost it must be cheap. Your man in the street doesn't give a monkeys as long as it's cheap - the government are like that only writ large. It won't matter that down the line the product, train, Nhs IT system will fail just so long as it's cheap, or cheaper than the rest.

Are you pulling my leg?

Look around this very forum. Find me 10 threads with somebody wanting product that's british (God forbid sheffield made) and I'll find you 10 times as many saying first and foremost it must be cheap. Your man in the street doesn't give a monkeys as long as it's cheap - the government are like that only writ large. It won't matter that down the line the product, train, Nhs IT system will fail just so long as it's cheap, or cheaper than the rest.

Then we need to be the 1st to wake up to false economy

We know it makes sense on a personal level to do things properly...do it cheap buy twice... We all know

So we should individually and certainly the government should promote british made as quality product that benefit us all...that in the long term will make

economic sense

This bottom line mentality has to change for Britain to succeed

Buy a carpet 20m squared at £5 a metre is £100 buy it every year for 10 years is £1000

Buy one 20 m at £25 a metre is £500 lasts ten years

Bottom line buying cheap imports and awarding government contracts to those that are more interested in profit than service is destroying our country

We have a role as citizens so do the government to model an approach and a commitment to Britain

Look at the cars on the road when you go to France !

Edited by Gmeow

Then we need to be the 1st to wake up to false economy

We know it makes sense on a personal level to do things properly...do it cheap buy twice... We all know

So we should individually and certainly the government should promote british made as quality product that benefit us all...that in the long term will make

economic sense

This bottom line mentality has to change for Britain to succeed

Buy a carpet 20m squared at £5 a metre is £100 buy it every year for 10 years is £1000

Buy one 20 m at £25 a metre is £500 lasts ten years

Bottom line buying cheap imports and awarding government contracts to those that are more interested in profit than service is destroying our country

We have a role as citizens so do the government to model an approach and a commitment to Britain

Look at the cars on the road when you go to France !

But the government doesn't strong arm people to drive french motors in France. If nobody bought from sports direct because of how they treat their staff things would change quickly, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. We don't even buy british built cars in really massive numbers.

Must be cheap. Be all. End all.

You can't just close a steelworks and then open it up again when the market for steel improves.

Other European countries are making an effort to protect their manufacturing industries and jobs , we choose not to.

That must be why the Scottish government chose to buy 100% of the steel for the new Forth Bridge from non UK producers.

It must also be why 80-85% of UK car buyers choose to buy cars made outside the UK by foreign labour using foreign made steel. If the British public choose not to support British made goods, and British made steel what is the point in the government taxing the British public to subsidise steel they won't buy?

But the government doesn't strong arm people to drive french motors in France. If nobody bought from sports direct because of how they treat their staff things would change quickly, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. We don't even buy british built cars in really massive numbers.

Must be cheap. Be all. End all.

But the French either haven't been brainwashed or aren't stupid enough to believe that cheap is all that matters.

They burnt british sheep imports but they protected their interests...to be admired you could argue.

Vive la Republic gives a greater national pride than we have.

We need to start realise how our buying actions affect the whole country

Needs a huge campaign in my opinion but wouldn't fit well with pro Europe agendas

---------- Post added 19-01-2016 at 23:56 ----------

That must be why the Scottish government chose to buy 100% of the steel for the new Forth Bridge from non UK producers.

It must also be why 80-85% of UK car buyers choose to buy cars made outside the UK by foreign labour using foreign made steel. If the British public choose not to support British made goods, and British made steel what is the point in the government taxing the British public to subsidise steel they won't buy?

Disgraceful.....on both counts if true

The government must lead the charge on buying british to build Britain