Is it racist to criticise Islam?

IS an accusation of aposty racist?

You will need to do that one again, in English.

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 00:03 ----------

I mentioned her race because it was that he was disputing. I have no idea what race the muslim is.

That's a very neat answer. Respect :D

You know what I meant though. Why did you mention that he is a Muslim?

That's a very neat answer. Respect :D

You know what I meant though. Why did you mention that he is a Muslim?

Given the subject of the thread I felt it was relevant that the only racist post was from the chap with the 'muslim and proud' avatar. But it would be equally racist from anyone else so point taken, just ironic under these particular circumstances.

Is it culture, religion, race or something else that gets everyone so upset?

Different things get different people upset.

In response to the thread title, Is it racist to criticise Islam?

Technically no, although many idiots and bigots identify Muslims with skin colour, in which case it becomes racist by intent.

(ie, they may refer to an Asian looking man as Muslim even though he's Christian, then refer to a white man as a white man, even though his religion is Islam).

Is it racist to criticise Islam?

'Legitimate' criticism (ie, having an actual rational point to make about something within the religion itself) about Islam is not racist, ethnic races do not have rules/doctrines/systems that religions do and that is what's criticised about religion.

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 07:57 ----------

A good article about what you are asking here= http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/20/islam-race-richard-dawkins

Taken from the link=

"Islam might not be a race, but using that as a fig leaf for your unthinking prejudice is almost certainly racist".

Unfortunately that article is cobblers. I notice it's written by Nesrine Malik, a Muslim who already has a chip on her shoulder about many prominent atheists including Dawkins and Hitchens.

Because I'm not looking for validation of what I think, I'm interested in the question in the title.

Do you think it's racist to criticise Islam Mr M?

No I don't think it's racist to criticise Islam.

My own view is that religion can be both positive or negative - it very much depends on how it is interpreted, and the actions people take in the name of religion. So it can be positive in the sense that it brings people together, and gives people comfort. Though it can be negative when it is used as a tool for justifying oppression or murder.

On the other side, it depends on how the person criticising religion goes about justifying their argument. I think it is a sign of a healthy society that people can openly discuss religions and their impact on people. however some people abuse that freedom to become offensive.

For example http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/westboro-is-planning-to-protest-bowies-funeral-but-they-probably-didnt-see-this-coming_us_569687c3e4b0778f46f7b4a2

I can't be anything other than non committal in my response as the title of the thread is very broad.

Edited by Mister M