Stock market crashing what does it mean to you

It wasn't Labour's fault that world finances crashed. It was however Labour's fault that they hadn't made provision for it. I note that the UK is currently enjoying a reduced deficit, a record level of employment and continued growth despite world events. Contrast that to 8% contraction in GDP in 2008/2009.

That's the difference.

Labour's policy of investing in growth had started to work before they were ousted, when the Conservatives got in they reversed that and we had years of double-dip recessions. The only people who are seeing any rewards are those at the top. Hardworking families continue to be victims of Conservative policy.

My child's school cannot attract good teachers in many subjects, and this is representative of the whole picture up and down the country. There are 40% more teaching vacancies in England now than there were this time last year. It is the same picture for sixth forms. Of course, little does this matter to a cabinet that ensures all their offspring go to Eton.

It wasn't Labour's fault that world finances crashed. It was however Labour's fault that they hadn't made provision for it. I note that the UK is currently enjoying a reduced deficit, a record level of employment and continued growth despite world events. Contrast that to 8% contraction in GDP in 2008/2009.

That's the difference.

A reduced deficit, so you mean that debt is still increasing, despite all the "austerity" and growth... Debt still going up, month on month, year on year. Date when the deficit was promised to turn into a surplus, firmly missed I believe.

A reduced deficit, so you mean that debt is still increasing, despite all the "austerity" and growth... Debt still going up, month on month, year on year. Date when the deficit was promised to turn into a surplus, firmly missed I believe.

And they have continued to sell of the family silver too.

hold on to gold.

Maybe buy it... But if you've been holding it, then you've been losing a lot of money for the past half a decade.

https://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do

Nearly a 50% hair cut since July 2011... Ouch.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 09:43 ----------

Security is a thing of the past. Most people won't understand what it means until they need some of the essential services which have been slashed to ribbons, and realise that more and more things are now out of reach.

Through your rosy glasses, when historically was security available?

Exactly.... I can't believe the Conservatives are still peddling this rubbish and getting away with it, when they have borrowed more than the Labour party, doubled the debt, shredded services, and done absolutely nothing to curb the banks.

Maybe people blame Labour for believing that they put an end to boom and bust?

Maybe buy it... But if you've been holding it, then you've been losing a lot of money for the past half a decade.

https://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do

Nearly a 50% hair cut since July 2011... Ouch.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 09:43 ----------

Through your rosy glasses, when historically was security available?

.........certainly a haircut for gold! only well beaten into first place by oil! whoever would have thought it, but watch gold bounce back this year all my financial contacts tell me in USA! paper money is due for a trashing wordwide...........we'll have to see!

If he bought it 2 years ago then he`s ahead of the game.

https://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do?currency=EUR&weight=kg&timeframe=5y

True.

And if he's been sat on it for a decade or more, then he's made a relative fortune, even at today's prices. Could have easily tripled his money.

Gold does 'predictable' things when the economy booms or crashes, but spotting the right time to buy/sell is the key. It's speculative and you need to be willing to risk losing money.

And there are brokerage and storage fees of course, so a 10% increase in gold price doesn't mean a 10% profit.