Stock market crashing what does it mean to you

The link you posted is the price per kilo of gold in Euros.

The comment you made only applies if you bought gold with Euros. The appreciation is wholly due to the value of that currency. Buying in dollars would have lost you third of your money.

Making a simple mistake like that could cost someone a huge percentage of their savings.

Very good point, and the picture would look different again in GBP (which presumably most of us would trade in).

Peaked in Aug 11, no profit to really be made since then in GBP gold.

2007 was a big economic crash, prices rose rapidly (in whatever currency).

The current stock market instability hopefully isn't the start of another major crash.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 13:37 ----------

What do people think about Bit Coins?

Incredibly risky. Volatile, nowhere safe to even store them... I wouldn't touch it.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Currently I would sooner buy £100k of gold sovereigns than £100k of bricks and mortar.

The sovereigns will not attract any tax when you sell providing you keep within your annual capital gains allowance and infinitely less hassle and bills!

Sovereigns are exempt from CG tax, that's part of the appeal of using them to invest.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 13:46 ----------

Buying coins though means paying something like a 6% premium on the spot price of gold (or more), so you have to be sure it's worth the tax saving, or gold has to appreciate 6% before you even break even.

Very good point, and the picture would look different again in GBP (which presumably most of us would trade in).

Peaked in Aug 11, no profit to really be made since then in GBP gold.

2007 was a big economic crash, prices rose rapidly (in whatever currency).

The current stock market instability hopefully isn't the start of another major crash.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 13:37 ----------

Incredibly risky. Volatile, nowhere safe to even store them... I wouldn't touch it.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Sovereigns are exempt from CG tax, that's part of the appeal of using them to invest.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 13:46 ----------

Buying coins though means paying something like a 6% premium on the spot price of gold (or more), so you have to be sure it's worth the tax saving, or gold has to appreciate 6% before you even break even.

I understood that if you made a large gain above your CG allowance by "trading" in Gold sovereigns,you could attract the attention of the taxman although sovereigns minted beyond 1850(I think) are classed as legal currency.

You can buy at much less a premium than 6% for large quantities!

A reduced deficit, so you mean that debt is still increasing, despite all the "austerity" and growth... Debt still going up, month on month, year on year. Date when the deficit was promised to turn into a surplus, firmly missed I believe.

Do you think it would be better if we were still running a deficit of £153.8 Billion every year when the Chinese economy lost its momentum?

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 14:41 ----------

100k is not a lot of money in buying gold terms, what would your advice be to invest 100k?

Aston Martin DB7 Convertible, 1958 Gibson Les Paul guitar and if you have anything left over put it towards a small property near the coast in Northern Croatia.

Edited by foxy lady

Nearly every household in this country is in debt.

How much debt is that?

How does that compare to treasury debt?

What if that debt gets called?

And most important question - will I be able to buy slaves then?

Nation of borrowers at mercy of banks.

I understood that if you made a large gain above your CG allowance by "trading" in Gold sovereigns,you could attract the attention of the taxman although sovereigns minted beyond 1850(I think) are classed as legal currency.

You can buy at much less a premium than 6% for large quantities!

Where can you buy it at less of a premium?

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 15:01 ----------

Simply not true.

Simply not true.

:suspect:

If I still believed anything I read on here these days then I might be asking how either of you know this for definite, and to provide reputable links to prove your case (yawn!)...

... but I don't, so I won't! :roll:

Where can you buy it at less of a premium?

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 15:01 ----------

Simply not true.

I have bought for 3%, off Ebay direct from sellers,but you have to wait your opportunity.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 15:14 ----------

Do you think it would be better if we were still running a deficit of £153.8 Billion every year when the Chinese economy lost its momentum?

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 14:41 ----------

Aston Martin DB7 Convertible, 1958 Gibson Les Paul guitar and if you have anything left over put it towards a small property near the coast in Northern Croatia.

I think your only chance with the £100k is the prop in Croatia!

.... you foxy little windup

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 15:28 ----------

:suspect:

If I still believed anything I read on here these days then I might be asking how either of you know this for definite, and to provide reputable links to prove your case (yawn!)...

... but I don't, so I won't! :roll:

Orzel untrue...Cyclone true.

If you don't believe that, you need to get out more!

]I think your only chance with the £100k is the prop in Croatia!

.... you foxy little windup!

Well there's the Aston and Gibson, although that Gibson might be out of budget.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C697055

http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/product-details/Original-1958-Gibson-Les-Paul-Burst

We bought a stone built "damaged" cottage in Istria for just over £11,000 a couple of years back. Although it might cost rather more than that to make it civilised.

Edited by foxy lady

Well there's the Aston and Gibson, although that Gibson might be out of budget.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C697055

http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/product-details/Original-1958-Gibson-Les-Paul-Burst

We bought a stone built "damaged" cottage in Istria for just over £11,000 a couple of years back. Although it might cost rather more than that to make it civilised.

I am more of a Strat man myself,currently owning 3 masterbuilts,but my first bass guitar was a Gibson EBO bought new for £175 in the 60s, currently £2500 for a good one.You could pay hundreds of thousands for the right 58 Les Paul.My Pal currently plays in 2 bands in Croatia......loves the place!