Better off on benefits than working

Not quite with the bit about having to sell your house if you go bankrupt. William Roache declared himself bankrupt but still has the house. I don't know the circumstances but if I remember, the house was his.

William Roache's wife was also his manager. I'd be very surprised if she hadn't managed to shield his house from bankruptcy proceedings.

Thats for pensioners on pension credit.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 19:54 ----------

I think Kate is referring to limited companies and limited liability.

The fact is when borrowing money especially larger amounts its likely some form of security is required such as your house, assets or cash or both.

I think bankruptcy is rare in UK. It's a last resort.

Although in USA they have a different view of bankruptcy or different types. Fifty cent and Donald Trump both declared themselves bankrupt to get out of debts.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 17:13 ----------

You didnt get rent, council tax, NHS and a weekly payment to live off? you can even get energy bills subsidised if you ask.

Im not saying its a massive amount. Im just saying as a self employed person you get none of this or very little depending on circumstances.

If its so much better on benefits, then it would make sense that you signed on.

There is also an option for others on low incomes to apply direct to their energy suppliers.

He needs to be in receipt of one of the following:

Have Parental responsibility for a child aged 5 or under*

Child Tax Credit

Disabled Child Premium or Element

Disability, Enhanced Disability or Severe Disability Premiums

Disability Living Allowance (For an adult or child within the household) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Long term Incapacity Benefit

Pensioner Premium, Higher Pensioner Premium or Enhanced Pensioner Premium

I think he said he was single. Good spot though if he is eligible and he decides to go onto JSA.

What kind of system do we have when you work out you are better signing on than trying to build a small business...I dont understand this country.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 11:04 ----------

They get everything paid for!

I think this is more about perception - yes there are people who are quite content to take and not give anything back, and the tabloids are full of stories about people leading the life of riley on the dole.

However you very rarely hear about the many hundreds of thousands more that are struggling financially, and not coping.

Similarly the press sometimes publicise success stories of entrepreneurs who, like yourself started small, but grew successful businesses. Unfortunately you rarely hear about the many more that are struggling to cope with the work load, and who get very little financial reward.

I know it's probably not much comfort, but you do have the respect of a lot of people for having the courage and energy to strike out on your own and start your own business. I wouldn't have the know how or tenacity to do what you are doing.

I do know there are a number of services for new start ups in Sheffield....I'm guessing if you're in touch with the Council they've made you aware of these?

Edited by Mister M

Not that rare: UK Bankruptcy figures.

15,000+ in 2015.

How many are self employed?

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 22:01 ----------

I think this is more about perception - yes there are people who are quite content to take and not give anything back, and the tabloids are full of stories about people leading the life of riley on the dole.

However you very rarely hear about the many hundreds of thousands more that are struggling financially, and not coping.

Similarly the press sometimes publicise success stories of entrepreneurs who, like yourself started small, but grew successful businesses. Unfortunately you rarely hear about the many more that are struggling to cope with the work load, and who get very little financial reward.

I know it's probably not much comfort, but you do have the respect of a lot of people for having the courage and energy to strike out on your own and start your own business. I wouldn't have the know how or tenacity to do what you are doing.

Not giving up. Am sure about that.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 22:03 ----------

Subsidised energy bills if you are on JSA?!!! Tell me more? :huh:

Am pretty sure certain energy cos have schemes for those on certain benefits.