Putin / Alexander Litvinenko

Is Putin the most powerful man in the world?

To my understanding, it seems he can pretty much act with impunity, and unlike western leaders, he doesn't need approval from other bodies within the state (votes in parliament or congress or whatever), to act. He is able to take direct powerful actions, e.g. order assassinations of traitors, which sets a precedent and dissuades others from following suit etc.

I just can't see western leaders being able to do that kind of thing; their accountability is their weakness?

I mean, why bother pussy footing around trying to get Alexander Litvinenko's killers extradited; wouldn't a real act of power just be to sent our own assassins in to Russia to deliver some instant justice?

Then again, we have a democracy, with our leaders being accountable, yes, it ties their hands in some regards; but on balance ... I think it's (democracy) a way more of a good thing than it is a bad thing (would *much* prefer to live in the UK than in Russia).

Is Putin the most powerful man in the world?

To my understanding, it seems he can pretty much act with impunity, and unlike western leaders, he doesn't need approval from other bodies within the state (votes in parliament or congress or whatever), to act. He is able to take direct powerful actions, e.g. order assassinations of traitors, which sets a precedent and dissuades others from following suit etc.

I just can't see western leaders being able to do that kind of thing; their accountability is their weakness?

I mean, why bother pussy footing around trying to get Alexander Litvinenko's killers extradited; wouldn't a real act of power just be to sent our own assassins in to Russia to deliver some instant justice?

Then again, we have a democracy, with our leaders being accountable, yes, it ties their hands in some regards; but on balance ... I think it's (democracy) a way more of a good thing than it is a bad thing (would *much* prefer to live in the UK than in Russia).

No. (10 characters.)

No. (10 characters.)

Why not; care to elaborate?

If someone gives you a bloody nose, do you just stand there and take it?

You need to do something, set some kind of precedent so people know, if they're going to damage you, it's going to hurt them more.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 12:31 ----------

NOTE: I'm not necessarily arguing that responding in kind, in this instance; would have been a good idea.

Why not; care to elaborate?

If someone gives you a bloody nose, do you just stand there and take it?

You need to do something, set some kind of precedent so people know, if they're going to damage you, it's going to hurt them more.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 12:31 ----------

NOTE: I'm not necessarily arguing that responding in kind, in this instance; would have been a good idea.

There is no proof Putin ordered anyone's murder. Its just more mud slinging aimed at making old Ruskie look like the bad man.

There is no proof Putin ordered anyone's murder. Its just more mud slinging aimed at making old Ruskie look like the bad man.

For me; I don't think the UK authorities are wanting to sling any mud here, or do anything to draw attention to this issue. They'd prefer the whole thing to have been buried, so as not to be seen to be impotent.

I would bet my bottom dollar that Putin knew exactly what was going on.

Guardian.

All fingers point to the ex KGB member,and you really think that the ex KGB officer MR.Putin knew nothing about a radioactive assassination?:hihi:

Saying Putin may have knew is one thing. Leaping from that to 'he must have ordered it' is a bit daft

With him being the de facto dictator of Russia it would have taken a very brave intelligence chief to order an assassination in London without Putin's approval.