Can you deposit small denomination coins in a bank account?

Self service tills in supermarket won't charge you for using change.

When doing grocery shopping take a handful with you.

Drop in as much as you can, top it up with whatever method you use usually.

Even if you get some change back it'll be less shrapnel.

Before you know it you'll get rid of whole pile while doing no extra miles.

Shopping in less busy hours helps not to get stared at by other angry customers.

I know with Natwest you can put unlimited small change into a childs account not sure on adult accounts.

I put nearly £400 worth of small change into Natwest back in 2008. I had no issue, I just need to count it first and bag it up so all they did was weight it.

Self service tills in supermarket won't charge you for using change.

When doing grocery shopping take a handful with you.

Drop in as much as you can, top it up with whatever method you use usually.

Even if you get some change back it'll be less shrapnel.

Before you know it you'll get rid of whole pile while doing no extra miles.

Shopping in less busy hours helps not to get stared at by other angry customers.

This, although obviously avoid Morissons ones as their tills are rubbish!!

You want the tills that have a small dish thing you dump the coins in, then you just stand back and empty the bag.

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 16:40 ----------

Very true, although Barclays will help you set up a Facebook page. Might not take your coinage though.

"Dear Barclays, I'd like to setup a Facebook page about how crap your cash desk service is"

"................................................"

I have loads of shrapnel I've collected over the years (as do a lot of people): 1p, 2p and 5p coins. If I count and bag them myself, can I deposit them straight into my bank account?

I know you can change it up at the machines in a supermarket, but on principle I don't want to give them a share! Might only be small value but it's still money I've earned. A colleague told me the bank might not accept them, or might even charge... is this true??

it is around 8% they take. them they give you a coupon for the balance that is only valid in the supermarket. daylight robbery.