The new Moor what do you think.

So are any of these great pubs on the Moor which this thread is about?

No, we were agreeing that there is nowhere decent to sit in the sun and have a beer in most of the city centre (forum being the exception).

Chesterfield has also been established as not in Sheffield city centre.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:36 ----------

Is that even English?

I'm assuming they are talking about places better to go drinking than the Moor. I prefer Chesterfield to the Moor as I'm unaware of any decent pubs on the Moor.However if we are out for a drink in Sheffield it would probably be to the many excellent pubs that are away from the city centre, particularly one's where you can park. I had an excellent Sunday lunch in Fagins just a few weeks ago. They do a fantastic all day breakfast, but it's not on the Moor.

The food is of little interest to someone wanting a beer on a Friday night.

And frankly a requirement to drive there makes it a very poor destination IMO.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:37 ----------

And going back with two bags, two kids ,a pram and gammy leg:mad:

Problems that preclude walking for 5 minutes to the tram, probably preclude walking down the moor in the first place...

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:38 ----------

That looks like more than 600 metres each way before you even get to the Moor. And how far to walk when I get off at the other end with my shopping? I just bought a pair of beer engines today at Chezzy Market. I'd really have loved lugging those up the hill to catch a tram.

I suppose you could park in the NCP at the top of the moor if you were buying something bulky...

Weren't we talking about the cinema though, and how you couldn't walk the 468 metres from the City Hall tram stop in high heels?

No, we were agreeing that there is nowhere decent to sit in the sun and have a beer in most of the city centre (forum being the exception).

Chesterfield has also been established as not in Sheffield city centre.

I think we have established that the Moor isn't the place to sit outside and have a drink in the sunshine, or to go for a drink at night. Nor is it a place to go for a drink in the daytime as there aren't any pubs. What's it like if you just want to go out for a steak with friends?

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:44 ----------

The food is of little interest to someone wanting a beer on a Friday night.

And frankly a requirement to drive there makes it a very poor destination IMO.

So what's the Moor like for someone not interested in food but just wanting a beer on Friday Night. Would that be a good or a poor destination?

So is the consensus that unless the Moor's redevelopment means that it's like Chesterfield, where they put public transport on to take people from their front door to exactly where they want to go, it'll be rubbish?

I'm fairly positive about it. I hate shopping, so I'm not particularly its core target audience. However, if there is a cinema and a few restaurants, I would be tempted up there. And I'd consider tying it in with visits to decathlon and staples (which I occasionally visit already), and the market, bookshops and stationers.

Provided it can offer the films I want to see, then I'd choose it over Meadowhall or Centertainment any time (unless I needed a specific shop that is only there), either paying for parking (if I expect to buy anything beyond a carrier bagful), or using public transport or walking if I want a drink with a meal.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:49 ----------

I think we have established that the Moor isn't the place to sit outside and have a drink in the sunshine, or to go for a drink at night. Nor is it a place to go for a drink in the daytime as there aren't any pubs. What's it like if you just want to go out for a steak with friends?

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:44 ----------

So what's the Moor like for someone not interested in food but just wanting a beer on Friday Night. Would that be a good or a poor destination?

Isn't it more about what it is becoming or will become, as the development takes place?

Provided it can offer the films I want to see, then I'd choose it over Meadowhall or Centertainment any time.

I agree, and comparing it to what is there now is completely pointless, the buildings are shells.

The cinema will add to the night time economy to the moor and the new kiosks will bring a costa and probably some outside seating.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 15:55 ----------

Isn't it more about what it is becoming or will become, as the development takes place?

The title of the thread is misleading really, is should include 'so far' or 'at the moment' as people can only really second guess what it will be like when its finished.

I suppose you could park in the NCP at the top of the moor if you were buying something bulky...

Weren't we talking about the cinema though, and how you couldn't walk the 468 metres from the City Hall tram stop in high heels?

Generally speaking unless cinemas have started doing accomodation that would require a walk back afterwards, and as there isn't really a tram stop anywhere near where I live it would require a taxi from the tram stop once we got off.

I did try the tram last week. I'm not impressed. There was a foul mouthed yobbo with his feet up on the seat opposite. A woman passenger asked him to move his feet and this led to a 10 minute swearing match. The conductor stopped in the other carriage. In the end the yob moved his filthy boots from the seat, swore at the woman and a few other passengers and got off the tram somewhere on the Manor. I carried on to Crystal Peaks where I emerged to find the trams weren't running due to a breakdown somewhere.

As this was lunchtime, I thought to myself that this wasn't a great method of travelling once folk had drunk 6 pints of Stella. All of a sudden cars and taxis look really cool.

That's what makes cars so useful. They leave from my front door. They go to where you want. They don't stop running because of a tram broken down somewhere miles away. You don't have to sit on a seat that someone has smeared in dog muck or sludge, and you don't have to share them with drunken scum who might punch you in the mouth.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 16:02 ----------

Well the thread is "The new Moor what do you think." So I assumed that's what we were discussing not some hypothetical discussion about places that don’t exist. Until they actually open any of these places I'll give it a wide berth and go to places that actually exist.

Edited by foxy lady

Catch a bus bottom of Eyre St, or at The Plug, back up to Flat St to catch the tram. What's hard about that.

I'm sure that it is possible, but the point is that it isn't necessary. Why would a person walk miles, travel on 2 buses and a tram to buy something they can buy from a place with a car park, or they could get to without half as much effort?

It is the area that needs to tempt us in to spend our money, not our obligation to undergo a route march in order to shop.

All I'm seeing on here is if you really put yourself out you can get to a place where you can't get a decent drink, can't buy a decent meal, and is full of pound shops.

Edited by foxy lady

I'm sure that it is possible, but the point is that it isn't necessary. Why would a person walk miles, travel on 2 buses and a tram to buy something they can buy from a place with a car park, or they could get to without half as much effort?

It is the area that needs to tempt us in to spend our money, not our obligation to undergo a route march in order to shop.

All I'm seeing on here is if you really put yourself out you can get to a place where you can't get a decent drink, can't buy a decent meal, and is full of pound shops.

The places you suggest that are more convenient for you are less convenient for me than the Moor. A place does not have to be convenient for everyone just enough to sustain a market for that place. The only viable thing they could do is bring back freebie or other visible bus route from the train station.