The new Moor what do you think.

The places you suggest that are more convenient for you are less convenient for me than the Moor. A place does not have to be convenient for everyone just enough to sustain a market for that place. The only viable thing they could do is bring back freebie or other visible bus route from the train station.

Of course they don't have to be more convenient for everyone. They do however have to be convenient for a lot of people. I suspect that for the vast majority of folk who live in South Yorkshire or North East Derbyshire there are places more convenient than the Moor, that they can get to easier, can park if they need to, and get their purchases home with less effort.

There was a mass emigration from the city centre to Meadowhall, which isn't about to go away. At the moment the Moor is dominated by pound shops and betting shops. At night it is a ghost town. A cinema alone isn't going to change that. There are no pubs, no decent restaurants and nothing else to bring in visitors. Sheffield's answer was to extend parking charges till 8.30.

So I fear the horse has bolted. The city centre is being abandoned to students, which in itself puts others off from venturing there. If I want to meet friends from North Sheffield I'd meet them at Kelham Island, Crookes or even Dronfield. We can have a drink or two, have a meal and head for home. Minimum effort all round. The moor needs to offer a USP to win back custom, not have folk telling me I need to take off my heels, wear jeans and take a bloody tram.

The Moor really needs a Roof Fitted Over it to make it more Attractive to people,as when its Raining you can really tell that people are staying local instead,just look at the Stall holders they would love being dry as bad weather either makes them keep at home instead

I am looking forward to the cinema opening. We can get a bus from Ecclesall to the Moor - they run every ten minutes. I hope there might be a restaurant or two included in the development but if not we can walk to Division Street ,City Centre or London Road, have a meal and a drink and bus home. Already doing this going to the Showroom. A new cinema would offer a greater choice of films.

Of course they don't have to be more convenient for everyone. They do however have to be convenient for a lot of people. I suspect that for the vast majority of folk who live in South Yorkshire or North East Derbyshire there are places more convenient than the Moor, that they can get to easier, can park if they need to, and get their purchases home with less effort.

There was a mass emigration from the city centre to Meadowhall, which isn't about to go away. At the moment the Moor is dominated by pound shops and betting shops. At night it is a ghost town. A cinema alone isn't going to change that. There are no pubs, no decent restaurants and nothing else to bring in visitors. Sheffield's answer was to extend parking charges till 8.30.

So I fear the horse has bolted. The city centre is being abandoned to students, which in itself puts others off from venturing there. If I want to meet friends from North Sheffield I'd meet them at Kelham Island, Crookes or even Dronfield. We can have a drink or two, have a meal and head for home. Minimum effort all round. The moor needs to offer a USP to win back custom, not have folk telling me I need to take off my heels, wear jeans and take a bloody tram.

There aren't any bookies on the Moor and there is one pound shop. There are restaurants signed up to the new building.

For me the Moor is just bringing the city centre up to standard a market, a cinema multiplex that doesn't smell of ass, plus a few more restaurants and modern shops. It doesn't really need a USP of itself. The cinema and restaurants are near enough West Street to benefit from that, the whole complex is near enough the Winter Gardens and surrounding museums and theatres to benefit from and complement those. If you add all the people that live and work in or near the city centre then you have a viable area and even now with half of the units under construction or awaiting refurbishment it gets busy on a weekend.

And if you don't want to come that's fine but at least when the cinema opens you might find that the Centertainment car park for instance is much less crowded as people no longer have go out the way to watch a blockbuster movie.

Edited by smiggs

The Moor really needs a Roof Fitted Over it to make it more Attractive to people,as when its Raining you can really tell that people are staying local instead,just look at the Stall holders they would love being dry as bad weather either makes them keep at home instead

Great idea, but who's going to pay for the roof?

They don't now. They down load them from the internet. That way they can watch the blockbuster they want even when the cinema isn't showing it.

I'm sure a nationwide cinema chain is much better placed to judge the demand for their business than you or I. They know very well that certain groups of people don't visit the cinema but they also know that others do.

I'm sure a nationwide cinema chain is much better placed to judge the demand for their business than you or I. They know very well that certain groups of people don't visit the cinema but they also know that others do.

I suppose that's like Sheffield Council knowing how successful the market would be, although Sheffield Council did have the benefit of knowing the area.

I have no doubt that the cinema will attract visitors, and will make a return. What I do doubt is that it will prove a major draw to the Moor in the evening unless there are some seriously good other attractions to make a visit worthwhile. It certainly won't be a major help to the market. I don't imagine too many folk staggering out the market with bags full of fish nipping in to see Star Wars on their way home. And therein lies the problem. If only they hadn't allowed it to go so far down the tubes.

Seems like Cinema is having a good year this year with record box office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35428593

Even on your home cinema its a different experience than going to the actual cinema.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned on this thread is whether the Odeon can survive or whether it will shut down?

Smiggs a sensible post by you, but there are a couple of bookies and 1 pindland plus a few tat shops. As the Moor gets busier i suspect those will vanish as better paying tenants move in. If you didnt know this is the cinema that will be occupying the spot.

http://newbrighton.lightcinemas.co.uk/experience

Seems like Cinema is having a good year this year with record box office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35428593

Even on your home cinema its a different experience than going to the actual cinema.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned on this thread is whether the Odeon can survive or whether it will shut down?

The thing that draws me to the cinema is IMAX, which gives you an experience that you just cannot get at home. You have to pay for it though, I think it was around £30 for two tickets to watch the latest Star Wars movie.