The new Moor what do you think.

To conclude; it is a fair enough statement to say 'it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that', but I think that's short-sighted. And also there seems to be an air from some people of claiming the Moor is failing somehow, when it actual fact it is on quite a positive upward direction.
Bah. Don't come on here Andrew with your reason, logic, and sensible arguements. There is no place for such things on Sheffield Forum. ;)

I'm puzzled why anyone would build a cinema there. There are already cinemas at Meadowhall, Broughton Lane, and Chesterfield where there is convenient free parking. The Chesterfield cinemas in particular have some rather good pubs and restaurants close by where you can refresh yourself after the show. I'm struggling the think what there is on the Moor that would temp me in that isn't easier to achieve or obtain elsewhere.

Because the Odeon is dire and no everyone can or wants to go all the way out to Meadowhall or Chesterfield. It has a good catchment area and plenty of people will jsut be able to walk to the cinema in an evening without having to bother about parking.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Not wishing to ignore the views on here, because maybe you represent a large number of people, whose opinions should be taken on board to make the Moor a success, but I have to say I think there's a lot of cynical, ill-informed and 'set-in-your-ways' views on here! Just to pick up on a few points going down the thread;

1. Shops;

There is a butchers on the Moor, opposite the Market which also contains several more butchers. There is a furniture store at the bottom but I'm not sure to what extent furniture stores really belong on modern high streets anyway. Primark will generate masses of footfall, whether you use it or not, like it or not, so it has to be seen as a major sign of things moving in the right direction. For those of you who prefer things upmarket, there are reliable messages coming through that the other units in the Cinema Block next to the Primark, and the units accross the Moor when that block is refurbished will be filled with more standard, mid-market chains. Patience.

2. New buildings;

There is no groundbreaking archtiecture, it's true. But go to the successful shopping streets in a lot of UK cities and if you look closely you'll see many uninteresting buildings; attention is often deflected from them when the shops in them are successful and notable. There's nothing wrong with what's being built right now. If a Primark or other successful retailer fill it, people will suddenly not care so much about how nice the building looks...funny that.

3. Cinema;

Apparently a large, national multiplex chain DO think a cinema there will be successful. And why not? Closer to the affluent West, South West and South than even the ODEON, let alone the Cineworld. The Odeon is run-down, inside and out.

Someone criticised the idea of one there because there would be no restaurants and bars? Firstly, do your research - the cinema will be intersected with a new indoor-street of restaurants. Secondly, there are bars nearby. Division and Cambridge Streets are not that far at all, and if demand is really there for something closer, then someone will take a chance and open some pop-up bars on the Moor.

4. Tram/Pedestrianisation.

The vast majority of the city is not connected to the tram system. If you never go anywhere off the tram route then fair enough, but plenty people do. More people probably live on the numerous bus routes that flank the Moor than live on the Tram routes.

In the Post-war era I probably would have kept the Moor as a street, but it was pedestrianised and I see little benefit in going back now; In some respects street traffic can give a city centre some character, but mostly I think it's simply polluting, obstructive and potentiall dangerous to bisect a busy shopping road with a lane or two of traffic.

4. Coffee Shop

Coffee shops are on the way. :) A chain, no less, too. I'm sure others will follow suit.

To conclude; it is a fair enough statement to say 'it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that', but I think that's short-sighted. And also there seems to be an air from some people of claiming the Moor is failing somehow, when it actual fact it is on quite a positive upward direction.

Just stop it with this sensible and thought out answers malarkey.

Because the Odeon is dire and no everyone can or wants to go all the way out to Meadowhall or Chesterfield. It has a good catchment area and plenty of people will jsut be able to walk to the cinema in an evening without having to bother about parking.

Add my name to list of people who is not willing to go out of town to watch a film and would never step into the Odeon ever again for fear of getting stuck on their carpets. :help:

Most people don't have to go all the way out to Meadowhall or Chesterfield. They already live within a shorter commute than coming in to the city centre. So those people would have to choose to come all the way into the city and try to find parking.

From my part of the world I can be at the cinema in Chesterfield in 10-12 minutes, but more importantly on leaving can be in a pub with great food and a dozen handpumps within 5. And I'm not ignoring the Odeon because it is dire. I'm ignoring it because it has the same access problems as the Moor.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 16:03 ----------

As far as going to Chesterfield to see a film. Why would anyone from Sheffield

want to do that. When the lights go out and the film starts it dosent matter

what the shape of structure and its position is.

Because for large parts of Sheffield a 5 minute blast down the dual carriageway to Chesterfield is preferable to a 15 minute traffic jam through Woodseats and Heeley.

Edited by foxy lady

Most people don't have to go all the way out to Meadowhall or Chesterfield. They already live within a shorter commute than coming in to the city centre. So those people would have to choose to come all the way into the city and try to find parking.

From my part of the world I can be at the cinema in Chesterfield in 10-12 minutes, but more importantly on leaving can be in a pub with great food and a dozen handpumps within 5. And I'm not ignoring the Odeon because it is dire. I'm ignoring it because it has the same access problems as the Moor.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 16:03 ----------

Because for large parts of Sheffield a 5 minute blast down the dual carriageway to Chesterfield is preferable to a 15 minute traffic jam through Woodseats and Heeley.

I answered your point on that you were pizzled as to why they would build a cinema there. A cinema doesnt have to cater for everyone, just enough people for i to be able to amke money. A cinema positioned on the Moor has a big enough catchment area, even if they have to do without your business.

I answered your point on that you were pizzled as to why they would build a cinema there. A cinema doesnt have to cater for everyone, just enough people for i to be able to amke money. A cinema positioned on the Moor has a big enough catchment area, even if they have to do without your business.

So a bit like the Moor Market then! Oh hang on. That doesn't make money does it?

Most of the folk in that catchment area are students. When I was a student we didn't waste our loans on films. We just downloaded films when we wanted to watch them..

Edited by foxy lady

I wouldnt call the shop on the corner of the Moor and Furnival Gate a furniture shop its a hire purchase shop that rips off the not so well off, as for the Butchers thats been mentioned, its all pre- packed and not a Butcher in sight. We had four great cinemas within a few hundred yards of each other and what happened to them? they were demolished only for more cinemas to be built.

Not wishing to ignore the views on here, because maybe you represent a large number of people, whose opinions should be taken on board to make the Moor a success, but I have to say I think there's a lot of cynical, ill-informed and 'set-in-your-ways' views on here! Just to pick up on a few points going down the thread;

1. Shops;

There is a butchers on the Moor, opposite the Market which also contains several more butchers. There is a furniture store at the bottom but I'm not sure to what extent furniture stores really belong on modern high streets anyway. Primark will generate masses of footfall, whether you use it or not, like it or not, so it has to be seen as a major sign of things moving in the right direction. For those of you who prefer things upmarket, there are reliable messages coming through that the other units in the Cinema Block next to the Primark, and the units accross the Moor when that block is refurbished will be filled with more standard, mid-market chains. Patience.

2. New buildings;

There is no groundbreaking archtiecture, it's true. But go to the successful shopping streets in a lot of UK cities and if you look closely you'll see many uninteresting buildings; attention is often deflected from them when the shops in them are successful and notable. There's nothing wrong with what's being built right now. If a Primark or other successful retailer fill it, people will suddenly not care so much about how nice the building looks...funny that.

3. Cinema;

Apparently a large, national multiplex chain DO think a cinema there will be successful. And why not? Closer to the affluent West, South West and South than even the ODEON, let alone the Cineworld. The Odeon is run-down, inside and out.

Someone criticised the idea of one there because there would be no restaurants and bars? Firstly, do your research - the cinema will be intersected with a new indoor-street of restaurants. Secondly, there are bars nearby. Division and Cambridge Streets are not that far at all, and if demand is really there for something closer, then someone will take a chance and open some pop-up bars on the Moor.

4. Tram/Pedestrianisation.

The vast majority of the city is not connected to the tram system. If you never go anywhere off the tram route then fair enough, but plenty people do. More people probably live on the numerous bus routes that flank the Moor than live on the Tram routes.

In the Post-war era I probably would have kept the Moor as a street, but it was pedestrianised and I see little benefit in going back now; In some respects street traffic can give a city centre some character, but mostly I think it's simply polluting, obstructive and potentiall dangerous to bisect a busy shopping road with a lane or two of traffic.

4. Coffee Shop

Coffee shops are on the way. :) A chain, no less, too. I'm sure others will follow suit.

Very good post.