The new Moor what do you think.

[/color]

I wouldnt call the shop on the corner of the Moor and Furnival Gate a furniture shop its a hire purchase shop that rips off the not so well off, as for the Butchers thats been mentioned, its all pre- packed and not a Butcher in sight. We had four great cinemas within a few hundred yards of each other and what happened to them? they were demolished only for more cinemas to be built.

Atkinsons are on the Moor and have a large furniture department

Debenhams are on the Moor I think they have Furniture Department

How far are you going back when there were 4 cinemas. That must

be getting on 50 years. When most cinemas around the country closed

due to the influence of TV. So think its about time we had a cinema complex

around that area.

Edited by bazjea

3. Cinema;

Apparently a large, national multiplex chain DO think a cinema there will be successful. And why not? Closer to the affluent West, South West and South than even the ODEON, let alone the Cineworld. The Odeon is run-down, inside and out.

4. Tram/Pedestrianisation.

The vast majority of the city is not connected to the tram system. If you never go anywhere off the tram route then fair enough, but plenty people do. More people probably live on the numerous bus routes that flank the Moor than live on the Tram routes.

The tram has bypassed our part of the city altogether. Will we take a chance that the hourly bus runs on time or even turns up at all to get us to the cinema in the evening? How will we get back when they've stopped running?

Sheffield had a chance to do something different with The Moor. The Peace Gardens and Winter Gardens area is visually striking but with the Moor it just looks like same old, same old and no different from any nearby town. When I went there at first, at night, the benches and the Moor seemed to be lit up at low level. Last time I went it looked dark and miserable in the evening.

Edited by Hesther

The tram has bypassed our part of the city altogether. Will we take a chance that the hourly bus runs on time or even turns up at all to get us to the cinema in the evening? How will we get back when they've stopped running?

Sheffield had a chance to do something different with The Moor. The Peace Gardens and Winter Gardens area is visually striking but with the Moor it just looks like same old, same old and no different from any nearby town. When I went there at first, at night, the benches and the Moor seemed to be lit up at low level. Last time I went it looked dark and miserable in the evening.

There are the weekends surely you will be able to get town during the day at

some time of the week

What time is your last bus. Most buses run from town to about 11pm

Or do you live in a remote area.

I don't think the Moor will ever be successful while SCC are in charge.

The whole street is full of ugly buildings dominated by Greggs', charity shops, travel agents, phone shops, and discount stores.

They should demolish the hideous council offices at the bottom, and build either a one-way road going up towards Fargate or a tram line for people to get on and off. Fill it with some nice bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and late-closing stores and maybe it'll become a nice busy area at night-time too.

There are the weekends surely you will be able to get town during the day at

some time of the week

What time is your last bus. Most buses run from town to about 11pm

Or do you live in a remote area.

I wouldn't choose to go to the cinema during the day though, or at the weekend. I'd want to go with family or friends and it would have to be a week night.

No, not a remote area. Just an area badly served by buses.

I wouldnt call the shop on the corner of the Moor and Furnival Gate a furniture shop its a hire purchase shop that rips off the not so well off, as for the Butchers thats been mentioned, its all pre- packed and not a Butcher in sight. We had four great cinemas within a few hundred yards of each other and what happened to them? they were demolished only for more cinemas to be built.

Like I say, I don't personally think furniture shops really make or break pedestrianised high street shopping districts, so I'm not sure what you think it's so important for. Besides, see Bazjea's post about better examples of furniture departments if you need them.

Butchers: You are deliberately ignoring the ones in the Market then?

This cinema is not replacing another cinema - I'm not sure what you're referring to? If you mean the general move from one-screen cinemas to multiplex cinemas, then you're talking about a cultural shift that has happened over decades? However we've arrived at this point, and however long it's taken, with the number of people who live West, SW and South of the city centre, there is an undeniably large market for a multi-plex in the city centre, and people would rather that wasn't the Odeon.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 23:50 ----------

I wouldn't choose to go to the cinema during the day though, or at the weekend. I'd want to go with family or friends and it would have to be a week night. No, not a remote area. Just an area badly served by buses.

You make valid points, Hesther, but ultimately they are only your own issues with access to this area of town. You are proof that you can't please all of the people all of the time. I live near Hunters Bar and this Cinema will easily win over my custom from Odeon/Cineworld/Showroom, not least because of the access. It will be an easy bus ride or walk for me.

The Light don't expect all 600,000 people in Sheffield's city limits to go to the cinema, and even out of those that will go, they don't expect 100% to pick their complex over cineworld or Odeon (or Showroom/Curzon). Clearly they just think that enough people will though, and that this location will have good footfall and access, and that it and the restaurants will compliment each other and attract lots of local shoppers and workers.

Let's reiterate again - the council aren't operating this cinema; a private, for-profit organisation are. They don't sign up to such ventures lightly! Sadly it sounds like they won't be able to count on your custom, but they must think they can count on a lot of others.

Why does it have to look so different? Why does it have to be unique? What does that even mean? What's so unique about the Peace Gardens? It's beautiful, yes, but you can find a hundred more like it around the world.

The Winter Gardens are pretty unique, but true uniqueness is an incredibly rare thing. Only a handful of cities on the PLANET can boast shopping districts that have some 'unique' flavour. What 'unique' kind of shopping district could Sheffield develop, Hesther?

Anyway, why must every square foot of the city be 'unique'? Why do people always think that is what Sheffield has to be, in order to compete with nearby cities? If I want to buy an piece of Ikea furniture, I simply want there to be an Ikea in Sheffield; I don't need Sheffield to have a unique furniture store, I don't need the Ikea building to be a unique design; just give me a bloody Ikea. Sheffield city centre would be so much more competitive if it simply gave the +200,000-300,000 of us who live closer to it than Meadowhall the option of going there for basic retailers!

A private developer thinks Sheffielders simply want a good-quality street of decent retailers, something they are part-way towards giving them (plenty of other plans still in the pipeline). The greatly increased footfall over the last 1-2 years would seem to suggest they are right.

[/color]

Atkinsons are on the Moor and have a large furniture department

Debenhams are on the Moor I think they have Furniture Department

How far are you going back when there were 4 cinemas. That must

be getting on 50 years. When most cinemas around the country closed

due to the influence of TV. So think its about time we had a cinema complex

around that area.

Atkinsons isn't a furniture store as such and as you say it has a Department, it doesn't matter if it's fifty years since we had loads of cinemas they were knocked down. I would have thought the films you can see in your own home via Sky, Netfix etc. would also put pressure on cinemas.

Atkinsons isn't a furniture store as such and as you say it has a Department, it doesn't matter if it's fifty years since we had loads of cinemas they were knocked down. I would have thought the films you can see in your own home via Sky, Netfix etc. would also put pressure on cinemas.

Yes they do put pressure on cinemas, but there is still a market out there. Similar arguments could have been made when Vue and Cineworld were built. Cinemas had already been dealt a so called death blow with the rise of TV ownership and then by home video before Meadowhall and Centertainment were built, yet they still were built and continue to operate.

There are many people in Sheffield who will find the Moor area more accessible than Vue or Cineworld (which are inconveniently sited in the same area), many by public transport or even on foot.

No, not a remote area. Just an area badly served by buses.

There must be about 30 buses that serve Moorfoot in both directions which is about a minute's walk from where the new cinema will be. Other buses stop on Charter Row outside Atkinson's which is even closer. And there's another bus stop further up Charter Row which will be almost outside the cinema. I can't think of anywhere else in Sheffield that is better served by buses.

I live in the South West of Sheffield and visit the cinema weekly, nearly always the Showroom as the Odeon is horrible. I would welcome very much this new cinema on the Moor, it is nearer to where I live and would encourage me to visit nearby restaurants, instead of the chains in the city centre.