The new Moor what do you think.

I still think, though, that an area like the Moor (and Fargate) is definitely crying out for a few café bars that make use of what little alfresco drinking / dining space Sheffield has. For all it's supposed 'green-ness' Sheffield is woefully lacking in this area. And large pedestrian areas are surely ideal?

I don't think I know of a British high street (i.e. primary shopping street) that has open air drinking. I'm not entirely against the idea but it's possible law makers and retailers would object. There is plenty of open air bars and restaurants on Tudor Square and St Paul's.

I don't think I know of a British high street (i.e. primary shopping street) that has open air drinking. I'm not entirely against the idea but it's possible law makers and retailers would object. There is plenty of open air bars and restaurants on Tudor Square and St Paul's.

Plenty? Really? Could you name, lets say... ten? I work on St Pauls and can manage 5. I do get what you mean about predominantly shopping streets not attracting Alfresco drinking / eating. But there are far more examples of this in Manchester (outside the Arndale Centre, up in the Northern Quarter), Leeds (dotted around the city and in the various Quarters and Precincts) and Nottingham, to name a few. I just think Sheffield is missing a trick with it's pedestrianized spaces, that's all.

It's no good saying that you can get a bus from the bottom of Howard Street up there because people who don't know the city very well would never know that.

But to the best of my knowledge, places like Manchester, or Newcastle, or Bristol, or Norwich (all pretty successful shopping destinations) don't have, shall we call them, 'obvious' bus links to their main shopping areas, and all of them involve a +5 minute walk from station to main high street. People will do some research before making the journey. In this day and age it's not difficult.

Your idea is noble of course - in an ideal world every train passenger would be whisked off in a private taxi to their exact destination in the city - but it is an ideal scenario, and not a very likely one. The free-bee bus has been on-and-off a few times hasn't it, due to funding being patchy, so it is something similar that the council have tried to do before?

I still think, though, that an area like the Moor (and Fargate) is definitely crying out for a few café bars that make use of what little alfresco drinking / dining space Sheffield has. For all it's supposed 'green-ness' Sheffield is woefully lacking in this area. And large pedestrian areas are surely ideal?

There are 3(?) new 'kiosks' to be built in the middle of the Moor, at least one of which is due to be a Cafe Nero I think it was. You're right, that it would be good to see a few more cafes or bars spreading out on to The Moor and Fargate. Although outdoor cafe culture in the UK isn't huge, you do see it in a lot of other cities in the UK, and gives a greater feel of variety to shopping areas.

---------- Post added 27-01-2016 at 13:57 ----------

Perhaps I'm mistaken (because in my head I can't think of places other than cafes on high streets), but I think quite a few other British cities have pubs on their main retail streets. I'm sure Cardiff does. There are definitely pubs that open out on to both Norwich and Great Yarmouth markets.

I don't know if they need to have them, necessarily. I think Sheffield could do with at least 2 more 'leopold squares', i.e. open air bar areas/squares if it wants to truly tap in to that kind of market like a lot of other cities have.

The Moor in Sheffield is now half way into its new look.

I think this is the problem. half way into a new look doesnt mean half way finished. It will take years for it to get going. At the moment it doesnt look like Scottish Widows have it as a high or medium end shopping precinct and it all looks rather incomplete.

That said the main Primark/cinema looks big and it looks as though theres scope for plenty of other shops in there as well. Once more people come to the Moor, then that will increase trade, which will make it a more attractive option for people other than budget retailers.

But to the best of my knowledge, places like Manchester, or Newcastle, or Bristol, or Norwich (all pretty successful shopping destinations) don't have, shall we call them, 'obvious' bus links to their main shopping areas, and all of them involve a +5 minute walk from station to main high street. People will do some research before making the journey. In this day and age it's not difficult.

Your idea is noble of course - in an ideal world every train passenger would be whisked off in a private taxi to their exact destination in the city - but it is an ideal scenario, and not a very likely one. The free-bee bus has been on-and-off a few times hasn't it, due to funding being patchy, so it is something similar that the council have tried to do before?

There are 3(?) new 'kiosks' to be built in the middle of the Moor, at least one of which is due to be a Cafe Nero I think it was. You're right, that it would be good to see a few more cafes or bars spreading out on to The Moor and Fargate. Although outdoor cafe culture in the UK isn't huge, you do see it in a lot of other cities in the UK, and gives a greater feel of variety to shopping areas.

The first part of your post shows a scary lack of knowledge to cities you have attempted to compare. Manchester has this thing called the 'Met-Ro' which pretty much runs thru town to all the main areas. Neatly linking up with Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale Centre, for example as well as the train stations. It also has a fleet of free buses (on various routes) which link up places like Dean Street which are not served too closely by the tram.

Newcastle of course has the same and also a regular Quaylink service which runs to and from the Quayside from both Haymarket Station (where the main shopping centre is) and also the train station. These buses are bright yellow and unmistakable for residents and tourists alike.

I can't comment on Bristol or Norwich as I haven't visited too regularly (although I will remedy the first one later this year). But it has always seemed like most major cities manage to cater for out-of-towners, except Sheffield. Without resorting to 'private taxis'.

The kiosks will be a welcome addition but this doesn't help attract the night-time crowd does it? I do get your point about Division Street not being too far away but how many who don't know the city really make the walk across the dual carriageway and up the back streets behind Corporation to discover this? Viewing things from the point of view of someone who has lived all their life here is a bad idea. Just ask anyone who has rarely visited Sheffield and they will tell you there is nothing here.

Sheffield definitely does need more 'Leopold Squares' and I said as much in my response to the Retail Quarter consultation. But that will go ignored like every other consultation does.

Edited by DnAuK

Plenty? Really? Could you name, lets say... ten? I work on St Pauls and can manage 5. I do get what you mean about predominantly shopping streets not attracting Alfresco drinking / eating. But there are far more examples of this in Manchester (outside the Arndale Centre, up in the Northern Quarter), Leeds (dotted around the city and in the various Quarters and Precincts) and Nottingham, to name a few. I just think Sheffield is missing a trick with it's pedestrianized spaces, that's all.

Most of the city centre seems to lack anywhere decent to sit in the sun and have a drink.

The options that I've found between the train station and the top of Division street are Browns (poor choice of drinks) or the Forum (which is nice, but it's a good walk up from the station and even in the height of summer it's going dark by the time we get that far).

Most of the city centre seems to lack anywhere decent to sit in the sun and have a drink.

The options that I've found between the train station and the top of Division street are Browns (poor choice of drinks) or the Forum (which is nice, but it's a good walk up from the station and even in the height of summer it's going dark by the time we get that far).

My point exactly Cyclone. I would also add Anchorage to that mix (a very underrated bar) but, as it's enclosed by the rest of West One, it's hardly drinking in the sun! TBH The Cavendish beer garden is probably the best of a poor choice.

I go to Anchorage, and sit outside.

Not sure if I'd discovered it by last summer though, and it's even further from the station than the forum.

It's invariably gone 2100 by the time we reach that end of town, and even in the summer the sun has gone.

I wouldn't drink in the cavendish, I'm not a student anymore :-)

I go to Anchorage, and sit outside.

Not sure if I'd discovered it by last summer though, and it's even further from the station than the forum.

It's invariably gone 2100 by the time we reach that end of town, and even in the summer the sun has gone.

I wouldn't drink in the cavendish, I'm not a student anymore :-)

Haha neither am I. But we can still dream can't we? Or at least have a perve! And they do have half decent beer these days.

Maybe you should try reversing your route? That's what we do. Tram up to West Street. Wander back down via many bars, ending up in the Rutland or the Tap.

EDIT: Of course if there were some decent places on the Moor to drink, and a bus link back to the station, I may do that instead

(see what I did there?)

Edited by DnAuK

My point exactly Cyclone. I would also add Anchorage to that mix (a very underrated bar) but, as it's enclosed by the rest of West One, it's hardly drinking in the sun! TBH The Cavendish beer garden is probably the best of a poor choice.

Try Chesterfield. There's lots of cafes and bars around the market place where you can take the sun whilst having a beer, coffee of cream scone. Well you can if the sun comes out.