Schoolboy not questioned for living in a terrorist house

The police have complained to the BBC that the infant and his family hadn't been questioned as terrorism suspects after the child wrote in his schoolbook that he lived in a terrorist house.

Apparently there was something else going on in the background but it wasn't terror related.

It looks like very shoddy journalism to make these sort of damaging claims that wind everyone up.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/21/lancashire-police-criticise-bbc-over-terrorist-house-story

Police have criticised the BBC for publishing a story that claimed a spelling error led to a 10-year-old Muslim boy being investigated over terror allegations, and warned the press of the impact it could have on community relations.

On Wednesday, the BBC reported that a boy who attends a Lancashire primary school was interviewed by police after he had written that he lived in a “terrorist house”. His family claimed this was a spelling mistake and he meant to say he lived in a “terraced house”.

Lancashire Constabulary’s police and crime commissioner, Clive Grunshaw, has written to BBC Lancashire about its reporting, which he said had damaged relations. The police said the family were not interrogated as potential terrorists.

The police visit took place because of other worrying issues in the boy’s school work, not just the “terrorist house” line, Grunshaw said. The concerns were “reported through the appropriate channels”.

'The police visit took place because of other worrying issues in the boy’s school work, not just the “terrorist house” line, Grunshaw said. The concerns were “reported through the appropriate channels”.'

What aspect of a child's school work would warrant a visit from the Police? It seems a spelling mistake (terrace becomes terrorist) doesn't, so surely something actually more serious than the original reason given?

The only things I can think of are signs of abuse to the child, or the lad has spilled the beans on something sinister going on at home, such as domestic violence or other criminal activity.

Makes you wonder if the spelling mistake story was given to the press by the family or another close source as to cover up the real reason.

'The police visit took place because of other worrying issues in the boy’s school work, not just the “terrorist house” line, Grunshaw said. The concerns were “reported through the appropriate channels”.'

What aspect of a child's school work would warrant a visit from the Police? It seems a spelling mistake (terrace becomes terrorist) doesn't, so surely something actually more serious than the original reason given?

The only things I can think of are signs of abuse to the child, or the lad has spilled the beans on something sinister going on at home, such as domestic violence or other criminal activity.

Makes you wonder if the spelling mistake story was given to the press by the family or another close source as to cover up the real reason.

He probably wrote an essay about being married off to his cousin next week.

I read somewhere, possibly The Independent but I can't find it now, that the boy had been asked to write a story. As well as using the phrase "terrorist house", he'd put that he was fed up of his uncle hitting him - both things made up. Teachers have a legal duty to report things that might generate concerns about terrorism or child abuse and the lad's story would have triggered both. Teachers don't have the option of having a quiet chat with a child to check everything is OK anymore, so the police became involved. They investigated and found nothing to worry about.

I read somewhere, possibly The Independent but I can't find it now, that the boy had been asked to write a story. As well as using the phrase "terrorist house", he'd put that he was fed up of his uncle hitting him - both things made up. Teachers have a legal duty to report things that might generate concerns about terrorism or child abuse and the lad's story would have triggered both. Teachers don't have the option of having a quiet chat with a child to check everything is OK anymore, so the police became involved. They investigated and found nothing to worry about.

I also read this in The Independent but can't see it now.

There are details here

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/14216694.Father_of__terrorist_house__error_youngster_demands_apology_from_Accrington_school/?ref=trn