Brownfield sites suitable for building houses

if a landowner has a brownfield site and has not developed it within a certain timeframe (5-10 years or thereabouts) than the council automatically gains ownership of the land with a view to sell it for development of houses.

In our area (Hillsborough) there is only one plot of land we could both think off that might be suitable and that is the triangle of land opposite the football ground on Penistone Road/Herries Road South. But I believe it is flood-prone, it is hemmed in by two busy roads (although a new road to unlock the land feeding into Herries Road South wouldn't upset the applecart too much in terms of traffic).

Do you mean compulsory purchase?

There used to be factories on that triangle of land, I doubt if houses would be built there.

Do you mean compulsory purchase?

There used to be factories on that triangle of land, I doubt if houses would be built there.

Yes, sorry should not use acronyms, a bad habit I picked up writing research memos.

I know there used to be factories, that is another mark against developing that land. So again, there is a shortage of brownfield sites that are suitable for development.

Judging by the reactions so far I think it is fair to say that Sheffield City Council (SCC ;)) should look into changing policies regarding greenfield development.

I can't think of any that don't still have industry on them which aren't already being regenerated for housing.

There is/was a plot of land right next to Tesco at Spital hill.

IIRC planning was approved for a high rise building right before the 2008 crash.

Yes, sorry should not use acronyms, a bad habit I picked up writing research memos.

I know there used to be factories, that is another mark against developing that land. So again, there is a shortage of brownfield sites that are suitable for development.

Judging by the reactions so far I think it is fair to say that Sheffield City Council (SCC ;)) should look into changing policies regarding greenfield development.

The Sheffield plan looks at 5 options for future housing development in Sheffield:

A- Urban capacity (brownfield site)

B- Urban intensification (increasing house density in the urban area)

C- Urban remodelling (remodelling areas such as Neepsend and Attercliffe to take more housing)

D- Limited larger urban extensions in the green belt, and

E - Multiple smaller green belt releases.

The consultation has just finished but its clear the SCC are at least considering the options

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 13:38 ----------

There is/was a plot of land right next to Tesco at Spital hill.

IIRC planning was approved for a high rise building right before the 2008 crash.

The question is weather SCC will allow housing on previously industrial units. IIRC this is what scuppered the Ski Village redesign as the plan was to build housing to fund the scheme. The good news is that if you look at places in the cultural industries quarter where there are umpteen residential schemes going ahead it appears the council are now more flexible.

If you think hard there are actually lots of plots inside or near the inner ring road.

Sheffield has some of the highest amount of brownfield sites in the country and has been asked by the Gov to look at ways of bringing these forward as part of a pilot scheme.

Don't get Green Belt and Green Field mixed up. The first is protected by law whereas the second, such as the old Hepworth Iron Works in the Loxley Valley, is available for development with certain constraints which the local authority may apply.

As to SCC changing policies they can only work within the law as it stands.

The Sheffield plan looks at 5 options for future housing development in Sheffield:

A- Urban capacity (brownfield site)

B- Urban intensification (increasing house density in the urban area)

C- Urban remodelling (remodelling areas such as Neepsend and Attercliffe to take more housing)

D- Limited larger urban extensions in the green belt, and

E - Multiple smaller green belt releases.

The consultation has just finished but its clear the SCC are at least considering the options

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 13:38 ----------

The question is weather SCC will allow housing on previously industrial units. IIRC this is what scuppered the Ski Village redesign as the plan was to build housing to fund the scheme. The good news is that if you look at places in the cultural industries quarter where there are umpteen residential schemes going ahead it appears the council are now more flexible.

If you think hard there are actually lots of plots inside or near the inner ring road.

Sheffield has some of the highest amount of brownfield sites in the country and has been asked by the Gov to look at ways of bringing these forward as part of a pilot scheme.

That's interesting Fonz, thanks for the insight. Considering the urban sprawl of the city, urban intensification and remodelling seem like feasibly options to relieve some pressure. There are plots around the city centre (there is now finally some activity on the plots next to Hannover Way to the Kelham Island roundabout I believe?), but I thought most of those had varying (as in properly mixed) planning on them? Thinking of the area around Scotland Street for example?