Brownfield sites suitable for building houses

Thats the one, would have looked quite nice IMO.

You can bet now though the land owners thinks that scrap of wasteland is worth a good million or two, as it once had planning permission for a big ass high-rise .

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 16:57 ----------

The question is weather SCC will allow housing on previously industrial units. IIRC this is what scuppered the Ski Village redesign as the plan was to build housing to fund the scheme.

If you think hard there are actually lots of plots inside or near the inner ring road.

Sheffield has some of the highest amount of brownfield sites in the country and has been asked by the Gov to look at ways of bringing these forward as part of a pilot scheme.

Thats a good point actually, the Ski village is a pretty large area that for the last decade has only been used for ad-hoc bonfires.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 17:00 ----------

Deepcar where the tyre dump was must be in the running for housing.Rebuild Parkwood springs another that could be considered.

Thats quite far out though, and really there's tons of space along that entire valley - I don't think there is anything running in that industrial area between the end of the steel works at Stocksbridge and Middlewood.

Lots of space down there.

Edited by geared

Thats quite far out though, and really there's tons of space along that entire valley - I don't think there is anything running in that industrial area between the end of the steel works at Stocksbridge and Middlewood.

Lots of space down there.

The Don flood plain is not really a good idea IMHO - and only a small portion of the valley between Deepcar and Middlewood was industrial.

There was talk of housing on the british Acheson site with a bridge over the don at the side of the park,it must cover 120 acres.

I had to Google what that exactly was, than to my astonishment I realised I see this site very frequently and always thought there was a working factory here...

If it was to be developed it is indeed on the floodplain as longcol points out, but fortunately there are a whole host of measures that can be taken to not let that be a problem. As the site probably needs to be dug out first anyway makes planning proper water management a hell of a lot easier.

There is a massive plot of land at Stavely. There used to be a pit, a railway yard and an iron works there. It must be about a 100 hectares. Very handy for the new junction they put on the M1 about 2 miles away.

Would that be near the old chemicals factory? If not, I wouldn't fancy it myself. Did you see the news story last night about former workers from there developing brain cancer?

Brownfield sites are usually that for a good reason.

There is no wonder that we are seeing increased flooding when houses are going up everywhere.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 07:59 ----------

I had to Google what that exactly was, than to my astonishment I realised I see this site very frequently and always thought there was a working factory here...

If it was to be developed it is indeed on the floodplain as longcol points out, but fortunately there are a whole host of measures that can be taken to not let that be a problem. As the site probably needs to be dug out first anyway makes planning proper water management a hell of a lot easier.

But the water has to go somewhere doesn't it? We are just shifting the flooding problem somewhere else then, surely?

Would that be near the old chemicals factory? If not, I wouldn't fancy it myself. Did you see the news story last night about former workers from there developing brain cancer?

Brownfield sites are usually that for a good reason.

There is no wonder that we are seeing increased flooding when houses are going up everywhere.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 07:59 ----------

But the water has to go somewhere doesn't it? We are just shifting the flooding problem somewhere else then, surely?

They've built on the old coalite plant on Derby road at the bottom end of Chesterfield (which will make the A61 much more fun at rush hour) and that would have been very nasty ground. They've been wanting to build there for years and it's finally gone ahead. Don't rule out something at staveley chemicals at some point.

EDIT: wasn't coalite but was a coking works.

Edited by tinfoilhat

You can develop a site that size to be an emergency reservoir (artificial floodplain) without it affecting the housing if you dig it out first. The Dutch have a legal requirement for all new development proposals to include water management appropriate to where it is. In this case you could for example develop the site to have low lying wetlands (great for the otters :) ) with in the middle of it the housing and infrastructure on raised areas. It is difficult to describe but think of something like tidal islands that are normally part of the mainland but by high tide become islands.

It rises uphill from the river quite steeply,I know who owns it, I will ask him if he is going to build houses on it,I do remember the road bridge being mentioned, though it was a few years ago.