Brownfield sites suitable for building houses

The new waverley estate is looking much better now it's filling up with homes but I'd be worried about what could come through the soil or if it will subside long term and couldn't buy a home in such a site. It was a vast mine and then soil heap for such a long time.

In 50 years however will people care?

There is a massive plot of land at Stavely. There used to be a pit, a railway yard and an iron works there. It must be about a 100 hectares. Very handy for the new junction they put on the M1 about 2 miles away.

Is this where they are planning to put the HS2 depot?

TL;DR - where are the brownfield sites in Sheffield, suitable for housing?

I had a discussion with the missus yesterday following the news that greenbelt in Yorkshire should be built on for housing. I think it should, she thinks it shouldn't. Fair enough, the argument evolved and we both agreed that one thing that would resolve a lot of issues was if the council pro-actively and forcefully CPOd brownfield sites to develop them. In fact, in my opinion, there should be a law that stipulates that if a landowner has a brownfield site and has not developed it within a certain timeframe (5-10 years or thereabouts) than the council automatically gains ownership of the land with a view to sell it for development of houses.

Having had that discussion we then started to discuss where there are brownfield sites that are suitable for building new neighbourhoods/housing estates and frankly came to the conclusion pretty quickly that there isn't much left in terms of desirable land.

In our area (Hillsborough) there is only one plot of land we could both think off that might be suitable and that is the triangle of land opposite the football ground on Penistone Road/Herries Road South. But I believe it is flood-prone, it is hemmed in by two busy roads (although a new road to unlock the land feeding into Herries Road South wouldn't upset the applecart too much in terms of traffic).

There is some more land along Penistone Road, all at flood-risk from the Don but I believe most of it is designated as commercial/industrial.

So the question remains - where are these fabled suitable brownfield sites? Keep in mind that desirability plays a role, it is no use plonking 40 houses down if they are only going to be worth cost-price.

Part of the land opposite the football ground has a sign up saying that it has been acquired for commercial development. I don't know if that means that some activity is imminent or if it could just be a supermarket chain buying up land to prevent competition.

The old Dyson site near Stannington is brownfield but it's not popular with the locals.

The problem with any further development of the Stannington/Loxley area is that the infrastructure can't really cope. It mostly all comes down to Holme Lane to get to Penistone which causes a mess. There is a strong argument to create an external 'ring-road' for the west of the city, but fairly sure that the nimbys will hate that as well.

The new waverley estate is looking much better now it's filling up with homes but I'd be worried about what could come through the soil or if it will subside long term and couldn't buy a home in such a site. It was a vast mine and then soil heap for such a long time.

In 50 years however will people care?

It is looking like a nice development that, it has good numbers to form a new community. But as you say, the state of the soil would be a worry. However, I am fairly sure that in this day and age (are there slow-worms? No. Are there tangerine-eating bats? No.) the council has a responsibility to ensure it is clean.

Near Chaucer school Parson X , loads of houses I recall was knocked down and the land stands empty - now sure what the plans are but plenty of space to build new homes - question is who would pay for them ?

Ideal opportunity to build more aspirational housing into the mix?

Part of the land opposite the football ground has a sign up saying that it has been acquired for commercial development. I don't know if that means that some activity is imminent or if it could just be a supermarket chain buying up land to prevent competition.

It has had that sign for a long, long time. If I am not mistaken the previous owner of SWFC (Mandaric) was going to build their community centre there before it got put in the rubbish bin.

The Don flood plain is not really a good idea IMHO - and only a small portion of the valley between Deepcar and Middlewood was industrial.

Didn't the 2007 floods knock that idea on the head?

It isn't a problem building on areas that flood. You dig a lake and use what you dig out to raise the ground where the houses will be built. It's good for the ducks too.

A planning application has gone in for 300 houses 2,3,4 and 5 bedrooms on the old papermill site at Oughtibridge

That is good news, Oughtibridge is lovely and this will help strengthen the vitality of local businesses and clubs.