Brownfield sites suitable for building houses

There are loads of brownfield sites ripe for housing. As most of the Upper Don Valley is less viable for industry due to large sites out towards the M1 being more viable ( the former airport site, AMP and Markham Main further down the M1), there is a plethora of sites in the UDV. As somebody has said, there is an application for 300 homes on the Oughtibridge Mill site, there is a site already prepared just as you approach Deepcar, the former Ucar Carbon site is a prime site for up market housing as it backs onto Beeley and Great Hollins Woods and the former Presto Tools site would be a good extension to the Kelham area if potential flooding issues can be addressed.

On top of that, the entire canalside between Sheffield and Rotherham should be zoned for low rise, moderate density housing with an emphasis on intensive greening of the area.

Part of the land opposite the football ground has a sign up saying that it has been acquired for commercial development. I don't know if that means that some activity is imminent or if it could just be a supermarket chain buying up land to prevent competition.

As far as I know Tesco had bought that land yrs ago but was going to lease it , Not sure if that's still the case

That is good news, Oughtibridge is lovely and this will help strengthen the vitality of local businesses and clubs.

Maybe a good idea for local businnesses. But there is no mention of

where the residents would be able to obtain education and medical assistance

Plus the flooding possibility in that area. These would be my major concerns

before buying anything in that area.

Maybe a good idea for local businnesses. But there is no mention of

where the residents would be able to obtain education and medical assistance

Plus the flooding possibility in that area. These would be my major concerns

before buying anything in that area.

You can put negative marks on any development before it has been carried out. It is a great way to ensure that not enough houses are built.

One would assume they have a solid anti-flood strategy (is this law yet...?) and in terms of education and doctors, that is an issue you always get with new housing and over time it will settle and actually improve services for locals.

You can put negative marks on any development before it has been carried out. It is a great way to ensure that not enough houses are built.

One would assume they have a solid anti-flood strategy (is this law yet...?) and in terms of education and doctors, that is an issue you always get with new housing and over time it will settle and actually improve services for locals.

One could assume lots of things. But Ougtibridge school is oversubscrbed

according to SCC website fact.

So more accomadation must be a certainty before house building starts. How can things settle down without amenities being available from the start. Thats not being negative its being realistic

Edited by bazjea

One could assume lots of things. But Ougtibridge school is oversubscrbed

according to SCC website fact.

So more accomadation must be a certainty before house building starts. How can things settle down without amenities being available from the start. Thats not being negative its being realistic

So in that case, who says a new extension isn't part of the plans?

---------- Post added 24-01-2016 at 13:16 ----------

[/color]

So in that case, who says a new extension isn't part of the plans?

No mention on initial proposals regarding school or doctors,

as far as I can see.

Edited by bazjea

The only thing that can be certain about that development at the old Dixons site is that it will add to traffic in Oughtibridge. Most I assume will commute to Sheffield for work. Can't see many being prepared to walk from there into the village to shop - they're most likely to use supermarkets round Hillsborough for shopping.

Kids will be driven to school I assume rather than having a long walk on narrow paths next to a busy road.

I've not read the whole thread but British Tissues at Oughtibridge is under way to be housing http://www.oughtibridgemill.co.uk.

A big Quarry site in Deepcar - Bloor home due for 800 houses or so. This has been on the cards for sometime but no action from the developers.

Foxes Wire just closed between Stocksbridge and Langsett must be prime for housing I can't imagine what else they would do with that land.

They certainly need to make sure the brownfield is developed before the greenfield, I am sure developers would go for the sites without remediation every time.

Although most of these sites flood in 2007 and I wouldn't buy a house on them, they were built on rivers for the industry and not residential.