The Oscars black actor boycotts "are racist to white people"

The Oscars  

41 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars

• Are racist
    • Are not racist

I can see the point that the boycotting black actors are making but Charlotte Rampling is voicing other people's concerns and saying that there aren't any nominated black actors because they aren't good enough this year.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/charlotte-rampling-oscars-diversity-debate-is-racist-to-whites/1169703/

Your thread title is about the boycott of the Oscar's and the question in the poll us about the Oscars themselves. What are you wanting to ask?

Even though I fully understand white privilege and understand it is easier to be white in our world, I can't really see the claims for the non appearance of black people in the nomination list as racist. The nominations are voted for by a pool of 6000 people, that would mean a lot of racists.

Your thread title is about the boycott of the Oscar's and the question in the poll us about the Oscars themselves. What are you wanting to ask?

Even though I fully understand white privilege and understand it is easier to be white in our world, I can't really see the claims for the non appearance of black people in the nomination list as racist. The nominations are voted for by a pool of 6000 people, that would mean a lot of racists.

I tend to agree but I get the feeling that Hollywood is stuck fast in a 1930's mysoginistic white patriarchy. I'm also not sure what purpose a black actor boycott serves that doesn't seem whiney and entitled. Most of all I hate the idea that quotas are the answer to anything.

I can see the point that the boycotting black actors are making but Charlotte Rampling is voicing other people's concerns and saying that there aren't any nominated black actors because they aren't good enough this year.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/charlotte-rampling-oscars-diversity-debate-is-racist-to-whites/1169703/

Charlotte Rampling might have been better keeping her gob shut on this one.

Are they racist? Probably yes, there are some odd omissions but there are probably white (and Asian probably) actors looking through the nominations and think "I was better than them."

People have been saying idris et al should have got a nod - fair enough, but I wish they'd man up and say for example will smith should be nominated over and above XXX.

As you say, I can also see their point but I think they picked the wrong year to make it because with maybe one or two exceptions the acting nominations this year are pretty solid. Last year there were some glaring omissions but this year... not so much. Idris Elba for Beasts Of No Nation instead of Matt Damon maybe?

As you say, I can also see their point but I think they picked the wrong year to make it because with maybe one or two exceptions the acting nominations this year are pretty solid. Last year there were some glaring omissions but this year... not so much. Idris Elba for Beasts Of No Nation instead of Matt Damon maybe?

Fair enough call. Wish spike lee would have conkers to tweet that to Matt Damon though!

I really don't care at all about the oscars any more than I care about any backslapping industry award. Might as well ask me about the solar panel installers of the year or whatever.

Why comment on this thread then. Troll elsewhere please.

I think the shout above for Idris may have some merit, but it is arguable. Sometimes you see a film and are blown away by a performance. This was not such an occasion.

I can't think of many non white people whom should have been nominated.

One of the people who voted emailed LBC earlier today when they were talking about this and their point was that they could only vote for the performances that were put before them and that it was the studios who decided that and the studios who go to the effort of promoting their films to the Oscar voters to keep them fresh in their minds.

Two of the people suggested as possible nominees have been Idris Elba for 'Beasts Of No Nation' and Oscar Isaac for 'Ex Machina'. I don't agree with the Oscar Isaac one (good performance but nothing really special) but the fact that Ex Machina came out so very long ago (barely a month after the last Oscars) guaranteed it wouldn't get much attention. Idris Elba on the other hand should have but I suspect the method of release for 'Beasts' and it being Netflix's first real film contributed to him being overlooked. That's not fair maybe but it happens every year to actors of every skin colour.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 21:29 ----------

Fair enough call. Wish spike lee would have conkers to tweet that to Matt Damon though!

That would be quite funny. :D

I've got nothing against Matt Damon and The Martian was great but he was pretty much playing himself.

One of the people who voted emailed LBC earlier today when they were talking about this and their point was that they could only vote for the performances that were put before them and that it was the studios who decided that and the studios who go to the effort of promoting their films to the Oscar voters to keep them fresh in their minds.

Two of the people suggested as possible nominees have been Idris Elba for 'Beasts Of No Nation' and Oscar Isaac for 'Ex Machina'. I don't agree with the Oscar Isaac one (good performance but nothing really special) but the fact that Ex Machina came out so very long ago (barely a month after the last Oscars) guaranteed it wouldn't get much attention. Idris Elba on the other hand should have but I suspect the method of release for 'Beasts' and it being Netflix's first real film contributed to him being overlooked. That's not fair maybe but it happens every year to actors of every skin colour.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 21:29 ----------

That would be quite funny. :D

I've got nothing against Matt Damon and The Martian was great but he was pretty much playing himself.

As you say, it's pretty subjective. The golden globes tv wise was a joke this year. Lady gaga won best actress in one category - she wasn't even the best actress in the only show she was in!