The Oscars black actor boycotts "are racist to white people"

The Oscars  

41 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars

• Are racist
    • Are not racist

Charlotte Rampling's comments are ridiculous and she's made herself look stupid.

In fairness a lot of people have made themselves look a bit stupid this year, from Spike Lee to Charlotte Rampling. It's easy to boycott the Oscars on principle from your yacht.

You really are extraordinary.

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 11:15 ----------

Charlotte Rampling's comments are ridiculous and she's made herself look stupid.

am i really?? well how long as all this been going on about racism?? the vast majority get it now and are in no way racist we are overwhelmed with diversity this and equality that, the fact is no matter how many protests there are and bleating about it "a racist will always be a racist" all the posturing in the world wont change it no matter how unpalatable it is, better to ignore them rather than feed their fire???

charlotte rampling is possibly correct in other years there have been and will be more black actors winning awards this not!

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 12:34 ----------

Hitler was ignored for 20 years look where that got us :suspect:

whats Hitler got to do with the Oscars??

Edited by Dubaidani13

In fairness a lot of people have made themselves look a bit stupid this year, from Spike Lee to Charlotte Rampling. It's easy to boycott the Oscars on principle from your yacht.

I think it's easy to boycott the Oscars from anywhere to be honest. I was reading an interview with Louise Fletcher (who played Nurse Ratched in the mid 70s film One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest) in the Independent this morning. She was saying that after winning her Oscar for that film, the offers of parts in film hardly rolled in.

You really are extraordinary.

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 11:15 ----------

Charlotte rampling's got more ball's than you'll ever have halibut ,the people that push these agendas are like you halibut they don't want to eliminate racism, they want to perpetuate it... This is why everything has to carry a label. They thrive on controversy... Guess who they are? "Activists" who depend on controversy for their livelihood and the media who depend on it go get them ratings and sales.

This all began because two rich actors didn't get their way in Hollywood - a town that made them millionaires. If Hollywood is so racist, why is it that the Smiths have enough power to make it an issue?

if race and equality are important to these people, why stop on the Black issue and not include Native Americans and Hispanics/Latino,Asian actors?

What next Bollywood too racist, hire more non-indian actors? Who wants to see white actors in a Bollywood film? :huh:

Edited by johncocker

A lot of people have been saying that the issue wasn't with the final list as such, but how black actors are cast into typeset roles, meaning they don't appeal so much to the voters. It's not about the voters themselves being racist, but the entirety of Hollywood. How many black superheroes can you name for example? It's a v difficult one for both film makers and he public to sort out. Look at the outrage when Idris Elba was touted to play Bond, people saying he MUST be white etc.

It's easy to be outraged at anything at the moment, but I'm struggling to think of a single film I've seen this/last year that has a black lead actor/actress. I've seen a wide variety of films from low budget indies right through to Star Wars and all in between. I'd say I'm a reasonably typical film watcher so if I can't think of any black actors who should be in that lineup then why would anyone else? The films that do have a black lead are films that don't really appeal to me and there you have the issue, in my opinion. Too much typecasting.

Here was a list I found of films with black leads in 2015. Seriously, is it any wonder there are no black actors in the list when this is the best films they were cast to act in:

http://theurbandaily.com/2015/01/09/2015-black-movies/

I can see the point that the boycotting black actors are making but Charlotte Rampling is voicing other people's concerns and saying that there aren't any nominated black actors because they aren't good enough this year.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/charlotte-rampling-oscars-diversity-debate-is-racist-to-whites/1169703/

Says it all.

Angel1.

Silly boy. He said he didn't care about it. If there was a football thread about the football awards and someone posted "I don't like football, they are all overpaid" and added nothing else to the conversation, the would be trolling. I invite you to Google the definition of trolling and tell me if it fits with the above.

By all means comment on things you don't like, but adding pointless comments to a discussion you have no interest in is trolling.

80% of black professional soccer players have blond wives..:o. Racists!

A lot of people have been saying that the issue wasn't with the final list as such, but how black actors are cast into typeset roles, meaning they don't appeal so much to the voters. It's not about the voters themselves being racist, but the entirety of Hollywood. How many black superheroes can you name for example? It's a v difficult one for both film makers and he public to sort out. Look at the outrage when Idris Elba was touted to play Bond, people saying he MUST be white etc.

It's easy to be outraged at anything at the moment, but I'm struggling to think of a single film I've seen this/last year that has a black lead actor/actress. I've seen a wide variety of films from low budget indies right through to Star Wars and all in between. I'd say I'm a reasonably typical film watcher so if I can't think of any black actors who should be in that lineup then why would anyone else? The films that do have a black lead are films that don't really appeal to me and there you have the issue, in my opinion. Too much typecasting.

Here was a list I found of films with black leads in 2015. Seriously, is it any wonder there are no black actors in the list when this is the best films they were cast to act in:

http://theurbandaily.com/2015/01/09/2015-black-movies/

Black people are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage.

There is hardly a white out for black actors, hispanics on the other hand...

Will smith just has sour grapes because he is SO sure that he should have been nominated but was not.