The Oscars black actor boycotts "are racist to white people"

The Oscars  

41 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars

• Are racist
    • Are not racist

Don't particularly want to get drawn into an argument with you two Muppets but the examples of black over representation that you cite are where the pre-eminence of participants is entirely or largely measurable and indisputable ie against a stopwatch or score sheet.

The Oscars on the other hand are an objective assessment, based on someone's opinion which will be prone to bias-subconscious or deliberate.

For my own part Ive often been overlooked for a gong in the Weeding Out Xenophobes & Gobfrothers category ;)

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 15:40 ----------

Ooh hark at Miss Piggy ....... frothy gob herself ;)

No typo Nagel-school boy error, thanks both for the correction. Ey up tfh, nice to see you :)

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 18:02 ----------

It's a pretty elderly baby since it's taken 87 years for the dummy to be ejected.

Haven't seen you on here for a long time. Trust a topic like this to bring you back. :hihi:

Its further down the food chain which the complaints attach to. I cant think of any good performances other than Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation. Other than that I cant see major performances that were not included.

Theres also a complaint about the composition of the Academy being white and male dominated.

The upshot of that being that they seem to prefer period pieces which in turn pretty much excludes Blacks and certainly Hispanics from getting Oscary roles. Also many of these period pieces are only green-lit because they might get some Oscars buzz.

That said Black/Hispanic directors producers actors are not making films that are being ignored.

It's a complicated problem and I'm not sure that Spike Lee or Charlotte Rampling shouting racist is really helping anyone.

What will be interesting is what happens next year and subsequent years.

From now on there will always be either accusations of racism or accusations that the black guy got it just because he was black and the committee over-compensated. I don't see a way out of that.

It doesn't work to create new categories either, like Best Black Actor, etc. There would have to be Best Hispanic Actor, Best Asian, Best Transexual and so on.

What nobody is mentioning in all this is that 90% of the time 'Best' means American at the Oscars. It doesn't matter what race, it's almost always the American that wins and best movie is almost invariably American.

Are Spike Lee's black films part of a solution or problem? In most aspects of life highlighting differences isn't as useful as recognising them.

Well it raised the issue and up to that point nobody else has. The problem is there, and I think that people not recognising them is the problem. Bizarrely this issue was dealt with rather sensitively on greys anatomy (don't judge me) this week. I'm not a regular viewer or anything.

Black people are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage.

There is hardly a white out for black actors, hispanics on the other hand...

Will smith just has sour grapes because he is SO sure that he should have been nominated but was not.

There aren't a lot of Hispanic movies around, especially ones in the English language.

[

QUOTE=boyfriday;11277924]No typo Nagel-school boy error, thanks both for the correction. Ey up tfh, nice to see you :)

---------- Post added 23-01-2016 at 18:02 ----------

It's a pretty elderly baby since it's taken 87 years for the dummy to be ejected.

Blacks have won 20% of the Best actor awards since 2000....there is no evidence that members of the Hollywood Academy are biased against Blacks...but there is evidence they are biased against white Americans, since they prefer British actors....21% of the winners have been British....this year just 6 of the 10 best actor and best actress nominees are Americans

all this moaning constantly on how unfair and racist these awards are this year and life in general is to black people is just perpetuating it??? just get on with life ignore it and it might just get better

I agree on that. I remember when Halle Berry received her Oscar. It was rightly won and well deserved in my opinion, but her after speech, o'h dear.

What she should have done is to gratefully accept it, give praise to the director, the producer, the crew and her fellow actors, end of. What happened, she went on and on about what a thing it was for a black actor/actress to get, thereby, as Dubaidani, rightly said, perpetuating it.

I mean has it come to a point where we have to nominate people just for the colour of their skin.

It's a bit like employing one section of society as opposed to others regardless of who is best for the job, just to get the numbers up.