TV licence thread

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Does a customer of NPower get enforcement officers from British Gas calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving a British Gas supply?

Does a customer of Yorkshire Water get enforcement officers from Thames Water calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving a Thames Water supply?

Does a customer of Vodafone get enforcement officers from BT calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving the BT network?

Does a customer of Sheffield City Council get enforcement officers from Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council calling uninvited at their door demanding to enter their home to check if they are receiving any council services from Barnsley Council?

Of course not. But the out of touch, out of date regressive BBC targets non customers in this way for intimidation, threats and demands for money with menaces

If they had a reasonable suspicion a customer was obtaining and using the supply without paying as required by the law - they would yes.   They would also be perfectly entitled to send non-payers as many threats and demands for money as they like until the debt is cleared. They can, have and would be entitled to litigate against such person and obtain relevant court orders.   

Does the DVLA use check who is driving untaxed vehicles and use enforcement officers ?h  What is your point?  

Stop trying to make excuses and justify law breakers.   It's disgraceful.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

That everyone pays the same amount of TV Licence fee to the BBC is deeply regressive and means that, proportionate to income, the poor are paying much, much more than the wealthy.

The poor, in reality, are subsidising the viewing habits of those people who are far better off than themselves. Which is exactly how the rich want to keep it.

That applies to everything that is for sale.

You are living in a fools paradise!

UK total number of cancelled licences in force in 2018/19*

April 2018                     75,021

May 2018                      67,716

June 2018                     67,604

July 2018                       78,753

August 2018                73,367

September 2018       73,645

October 2018              82,023

November 2018         75,381

December 2018         77,477

January 2019              75,392

February 2019           73,991

March 2019                 73,970

* TV Licensing management information terms some cancellations as expired, depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, and these are not reported as cancelled licences. These figures do not include licences cancelled for customers aged 74 when they turn 75 because these fall within the Over 75 free licences category.

Additionally, figures may be re-stated following end of financial year audits and therefore figures released previously under the Freedom of Information Act are subject to revision.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-licences-facts-and-figures-AB18

More and more people like you are cancelling their BBC TV licence every single month. Defund the BBC.

Edited by Car Boot

11 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

UK total number of cancelled licences in force in 2018/19*

April 2018                     75,021

May 2018                      67,716

June 2018                     67,604

July 2018                       78,753

August 2018                73,367

September 2018       73,645

October 2018              82,023

November 2018         75,381

December 2018         77,477

January 2019              75,392

February 2019           73,991

March 2019                 73,970

* TV Licensing management information terms some cancellations as expired, depending on the circumstances of the cancellation, and these are not reported as cancelled licences. These figures do not include licences cancelled for customers aged 74 when they turn 75 because these fall within the Over 75 free licences category.

Additionally, figures may be re-stated following end of financial year audits and therefore figures released previously under the Freedom of Information Act are subject to revision.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-licences-facts-and-figures-AB18

More and more people like you are cancelling their BBC TV licence every single month. Defund the BBC.

Your figures show that roughly the same number have cancelled every month since April 2018.  Not ‘more and more.’

Do you have a reason for not mentioning that a cancelled licence includes one cancelled for non-payment - i.e. the customer hasn’t made the decision.  Trying to mislead people to make a point? Poor form old boy.

TV Licensing cancellations data is reported on a monthly basis and relates to licences in force where the licence has been cancelled by TV Licensing as a result of payment failure and by customers themselves. Consequently, these figures cannot be taken to mean solely the number of licences cancelled by customers.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

2 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Your figures show that roughly the same number have cancelled every month since April 2018.  Not ‘more and more.’

Do you have a reason for not mentioning that a cancelled licence includes one cancelled for non-payment - i.e. the customer hasn’t made the decision.  Trying to mislead people to make a point? Poor form old boy.

TV Licensing cancellations data is reported on a monthly basis and relates to licences in force where the licence has been cancelled by TV Licensing as a result of payment failure and by customers themselves. Consequently, these figures cannot be taken to mean solely the number of licences cancelled by customers.

There is an argument to say that the figures are following a downward trend since October 2018. As you say, the numbers are stable at worst.

Booty, if you have an interest in statistics, can I recommend the excellent “More or Less” on Radio 4. The next episode is on Wednesday at 9am, but you can listen to previous episodes on the BBC Sounds app.

Edited by Pettytom

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

There is an argument to say that the figures are following a downward trend since October 2018. As you say, the numbers are stable at worst.

Booty, if you have an interest in statistics, can I recommend the excellent “More or Less” on Radio 4. The next episode is on Wednesday at 9am, but you can listen to previous episodes on the BBC Sounds app.

I don't watch, read or listen to BBC content.

I don't need to be indoctrinated with the viewpoint of the privileged, upper middle class, privately educated, predominantly male establishment that the BBC represents.

Edited by Car Boot

17 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I don't need to be indoctrinated with the viewpoint of the privileged, upper middle class, privately educated, predominantly male establishment that the BBC represents.

Ah well.  

You should give it a go. Educating yourself is a worthy thing to do.

There is a lot of stuff that people don't use but they have to pay for, childless people paying tax for schools is one example.

I can't believe people are getting worked up over, what is essentially, an optional tax.

Don't want to pay it? Then don't have a TV or use any of the services that require a licence. It's not rocket science.

10 hours ago, whiteowl said:

There is a lot of stuff that people don't use but they have to pay for, childless people paying tax for schools is one example.

I can't believe people are getting worked up over, what is essentially, an optional tax.

Don't want to pay it? Then don't have a TV or use any of the services that require a licence. It's not rocket science.

Exactly. I watch tv via a Freeview box and, quite happily pay the licence fee for the entertainment I enjoy. 

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

I began listening to radio 4 whilst feeling brain dead on maternity leave many years ago. You ought to give it a go-you’d be surprised at the diverse content and contributors (you can even hear the Yorkshire accent) and , I agree ‘More or Less’ debunks the world of statistics