TV licence thread

On 11/08/2020 at 17:18, Magilla said:

Then there's the reality, Tony Hall tried to put a positive spin on having a metaphorical gun put ot his head and told to accept what he was given.

The privately educated, Oxford graduate BBC Director General Tony Hall, Baron Hall of Birkenhead to you and me, has never stated that he was putting a 'positive spin' on the deal. It is simply your interpretation. He is paid £450,000 per year and is a former Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House. He knows a thing or two about negotiating deals. I don't presume that he is an incompetent weakling who rolls over when under pressure - as you seem to portray. In fact, I think he is very much the opposite.

He is the establishment, a BBC Baron, and that's why he was put in charge of the BBC. Perhaps one day you might champion the vulnerable and disadvantaged, such as those persecuted by the BBC for being poor? Especially women in poverty? Let's not defend the rich, privileged establishment - such as the BBC and the EU.  They are not the ones that need defending.

Edited by Car Boot

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

Aimed at Carboot, our self proclaimed Marxist / Leninist / Corbynist who somehow always seems to support the Rees-Moggist agenda.

So when's that going to happen based on the figures in #749?

BTW I don't suppose you've watched Beeb news going along with the "channel invasion" agenda - lefty propaganda naturally 😎

There are other worthy news channels, the Biased Broadcasting Channel is not among them.

7 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Perhaps one day you might champion the vulnerable and disadvantaged, such as those persecuted by the BBC for being poor? Especially women in poverty?

Still regurgitating that tired old stereotype?

1) The BBC doesn't persecute the poor.  Unless you think its OK to use things you don't have the means to pay for?  I think I'll try that trick with my road tax and car insurance.

2) Women aren't being targeted in any way.  They're the ones who answer the door when the inspectors come calling.

10 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The privately educated, Oxford graduate BBC Director General Tony Hall, Baron Hall of Birkenhead to you and me, has never stated that he was putting a 'positive spin' on the deal. It is simply your interpretation.

LOL because people who're trying to spin things always start off by mentioning they're BS-ing you!

No wonder you easily fell for the multitude of debunked nonsense from Brexiteers :?

He is paid £450,000 per year and is a former Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House. He knows a thing or two about negotiating deals. I don't presume that he is an incompetent weakling who rolls over when under pressure - as you seem to portray. In fact, I think he is very much the opposite.

The House of Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee disagrees :?

He is the establishment, a BBC Baron, and that's why he was put in charge of the BBC. Perhaps one day you might champion the vulnerable and disadvantaged, such as those persecuted by the BBC for being poor?

You'll be glad then that the government you needed to give you your precious Brexit has just appointed an ex-Tory councillor to the post, at £525,000 pa :)

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

1) The BBC doesn't persecute the poor.  Unless you think its OK to use things you don't have the means to pay for?  I think I'll try that trick with my road tax and car insurance.

2) Women aren't being targeted in any way.  They're the ones who answer the door when the inspectors come calling.

Indeed, it's really not rocket science... unless you're CB :hihi:

5 hours ago, alchresearch said:

http://www.moragtreanor.co.uk/?p=350

"

The BBC and the TV Licensing Authority recognised that there was a gender disparity in prosecutions for failing to pay the television licence. A review into this gender disparity, undertaken by the BBC itself, found that there is ‘no evidence to suggest that enforcement activity is unfairly and intentionally targeted at women’ and that ‘there is no evidence of any discriminatory enforcement practices on the part of TV licensing’.[11] One of the reasons the BBC gave for the gender disparity was that a female was more likely to ‘engage positively’ with a TV Licensing Enquiry Officer. Let’s explore this a bit further:

If TV Licensing Enquiry Officers target women because they are more likely to engage, often through fear of prosecution and fear that such prosecution might result in losing their children, then this is It is a clear source of bias and discrimination and the intention is irrelevant. It suggests that TV Licensing Enquiry Officers (perhaps unintentionally) pursue female-headed households as they are a soft target for television licence enforcement. Unintended bias is still bias.

Women are at greater risk of non-payment because they are more likely to be on low incomes, whether in or out of work. This interaction with poverty compounds their likelihood of being targeted by TV Licensing Enquiry Officers.

Given that TV Licensing Enquiry Officers are incentivised then there is the potential for unconscious bias in their desire to achieve their targets and receive a bonus.
This is not acceptable. The current model of funding our public sector broadcasting, which results in so many prosecutions of the poor, and of women in particular, is no longer fit for purpose and needs to change. And never has the time been so right for change."

------------------------------

"The television licence is a particular problem as you can be prosecuted, fined and even go to prison for non-payment. In England and Wales, prosecutions for non-payment of the TV licence currently account for around one in 10 of all criminal cases in the magistrates’ courts."

"It is also a highly gendered debt with women being particularly disadvantaged. Females accounted for 72% of all prosecutions for television licence evasion in England and Wales in 2017.[2] Furthermore, and even more worryingly, television licence evasion remains the most common offence for which females are prosecuted, at 30% of all prosecutions for women in 2017 in England and Wales.[3] The fact that almost a third of all female prosecutions are for non-payment of the television licence is criminalising poverty and women in poverty in particular. "

18 minutes ago, Longcol said:

...and not just here

Reuters Institute study finds BBC News is America’s most trusted news brand:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldnews/2020/reuters-institute-study-finds-bbc-news-is-americas-most-trusted-news-brand

"BBC News second only to local television news, and ahead of all major US news brands."