TV licence thread

3 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Bit of a thread bump this, but I'm getting more interested in the why's and where's of TV licence funding with the recent news that the current agreement is set to expire in 2027; https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/mar/25/bbc-looks-for-commercial-deals-as-it-faces-potential-end-of-licence-fee

As far as I can work out the licence fee only pays for BBC services.... none of it goes to Sky, or freeview channels, or ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5...

So why in the hell do I need to pay for a licence fee if I never watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio services?

The equivalent would be Sky enforcers going up to peoples doors and demanding money from people who haven't got Sky :loopy:

TV licensing is a joke. I've had 5 letters from them telling me my address is 'being investigated' as there's no license here 🙄

Who the hell do they think they are? 

Their threatening and ominous letters are worthy of unscrupulous debt collectors as I found when trying and finally getting a rebate on money paid.

However I am quite happy to pay a little over £3 a week for the content that I do enjoy and remain free from 15 minutes every hour of adverts.

21 minutes ago, butlers said:

Part funds channel 4 and the last thing the commercial channels want is to compete with for advertising is the BBC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_4#:~:text=Channel 4 is a British,its commercial activities%2C including advertising.

Channel 4 is a British free-to-air public broadcast television channel owned and operated by Channel Four Television Corporation. It is publicly owned but, unlike the BBC, it receives no public funding and is funded entirely by its commercial activities, including advertising.

Are you sure about that?

1 hour ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

watching live television in 2024 is pathetic

Wouldnt go as far as saying pathetic but i havnt watched any for a good few years,

i prefer to watch what i want and when i want to watch it and certainly dont watch anything that would require a licence from the BBC Gestapo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpycatweasel said:

watching live television in 2024 is pathetic

I don't know about pathetic but it's about on the level of subscribing to streaming services.