TV licence thread

A tablet or a TV.

The trouble is that the tablet would be too small for us to watch on and as I understand the rules if you watch on a television you need a licence. I agree entirely with all anti BBC rhetoric by the way. It should have been wound up years ago.

The trouble is that the tablet would be too small for us to watch on and as I understand the rules if you watch on a television you need a licence. I agree entirely with all anti BBC rhetoric by the way. It should have been wound up years ago.

Nope you dont understand the rule. If you watch a live programme on any device, then you need a licence. theres a small exception for battery powered devices.

If you dont wish to pay the licence fee then dont watch live TV.

Nope you dont understand the rule. If you watch a live programme on any device, then you need a licence. theres a small exception for battery powered devices.

If you dont wish to pay the licence fee then dont watch live TV.

It does sound as if I have it wrong 999, because the way I understood it, if you have a television receiver that is capable of tuning in to the BBC even if an aerial is not connected you need a licence. If that is not so,then it must have changed since I last read it and I missed the change.

It does sound as if I have it wrong 999, because the way I understood it, if you have a television receiver that is capable of tuning in to the BBC even if an aerial is not connected you need a licence. If that is not so,then it must have changed since I last read it and I missed the change.

I think it changed with the 2003 Communication Act. These days th thing that triggers liability is if you watch or record a live broadcast. Having a TV that's capable of receiving one is not enough, although in evidence terms you are going to face a challenge to show that you never used it.

Nothing wrong with not having a licence if you dont watch live TV, but it seems a bit rich to on the one hand complain about the BBC at how rubbish it is and on the other watch it without a licence because you think the law doesnt apply to you as a licence dodger.

I think it changed with the 2003 Communication Act. These days th thing that triggers liability is if you watch or record a live broadcast. Having a TV that's capable of receiving one is not enough, although in evidence terms you are going to face a challenge to show that you never used it.

Nothing wrong with not having a licence if you dont watch live TV, but it seems a bit rich to on the one hand complain about the BBC at how rubbish it is and on the other watch it without a licence because you think the law doesnt apply to you as a licence dodger.

Thank's for the information on that 999, and agree with the last bit.

It *is* only rhetoric though, there's very little or no substance to the vast majority of it.

Less and less people trust the BBC. Some for no reason and some for good reason. The fact remains the BBC is losing public trust faster than it is losing license fee payers.

---------- Post added 28-01-2016 at 17:13 ----------

This is an interesting video about the BBC.

Ive just re watched that video and at 4.27 there is an expletive so if someone has to remove it then fair enough but i didn't want anyone to watch it and be shocked or something.

Edited by Stoned