TV licence thread

50 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

There are plenty of pensioners these days who are still driving and wouldn't be seen dead on a bus.  There are even more pensioners who can easily afford bus fares.

And there are some driving around with the eyesight of Mr Magoo and reaction times that would embarrass a sloth. Free bus passes are worth it to get these people to give up driving.

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

What part of the research do you not agree with, and why do you think they came to the wrong conclusions? Were their research methods flawed in some way? 

Does it give any thought to how it would change if the bus passes were means tested?  The less wealthy would then still be able to get out, and the more wealthy, well, they wouldn't lose the ability to get out and spend, because they're wealthy.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Does it give any thought to how it would change if the bus passes were means tested?  The less wealthy would then still be able to get out, and the more wealthy, well, they wouldn't lose the ability to get out and spend, because they're wealthy.

I think the point the article was making was less about older people going out and spending more (although I'm sure that's part of it) but more about the additional health benefits that older people get by going out and about, and the extra volunteering and unpaid care work that they are able to do that they might not otherwise. I would imagine these benefits (especially regarding health) are greater for poorer pensions that would be less likely to be out and about otherwise. I've not looked into the research to see how the actual figures were worked out.